We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stowe Season Rental- nightlife etc...

US
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Stowe Season Rental- nightlife etc...

Thinking about a seasonal rental or timeshare with friends for next ski season. We are mid-late 20's and Stowe is on our list for great skiing/ good nightlife, reasonable distance from Boston.

Any thoughts on how Stowe stacks up against other mtns in VT/NH in terms of skiing/nightlife? As drawbacks, have heard Stowe is crowded and expensive...

Any input much appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Stowe
Stowe
Vermont
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Ottawa
Level Contributor
30 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stowe Season Rental- nightlife etc...

I am horribly prejudiced about Stowe. My wife and I have been skiing there for 25 years. We own 2 weeks of timeshare (mid March) at the Trapp Family Guest Houses. We are also 62 so may not relate to your age group very well. But here goes.

We love Stowe. We have also skied everything over 1200 feet vertical in the state. Killington is bigger, both in terms of vertical and number of runs, and crowded. Pico is a really great family resort and goodd glades. Sugarbush is big but I have always found the conditions there "iffy". Mad River Glen can't make snow and suggers accordingly.

Stowe is expensive but so is every place else. There are a gazillion bars and more than 50 restaurants, multiple stores of all type. Liqour store and large food market(s). A movie theatre and bars galore. Stowe makes snow on more than 75% on the slopes and has runs for all levels of skill. Stowe is crowded on the weekends but not bad at all during the week. Lift lines short. They have pretty good lift capacity (Gondola, quads etc). Mike Wright

Mentioned in this post
Stowe
Stowe
Vermont
Trapp Family Lodge
Trapp Family Lodge
1,453 Reviews
Stowe, VT
Mad River Glen
Mad River Glen
72 Reviews
Waitsfield, VT
Ottawa
Level Contributor
30 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stowe Season Rental- nightlife etc...

Sorry. Mad River Glen does not "sugger", it "suffers".

By the way, the parking lots generally have lotsa Cars from Mass. You won't be alone.

There is also more than 60 km. of cross country skiing, sleigh rides, skating, crafts etc.

Stowe has good ski school for beginners up to learning how to race.

Good Grief, looking over my notes, I sound like the Chamber of Commerce. We really do think Stowe is magic.

Mike Wright

Ottawa Ontario

Mentioned in this post
Mad River Glen
Mad River Glen
72 Reviews
Waitsfield, VT
Stowe
Stowe
Vermont
Ottawa
Ottawa
Ontario, Canada
3. Re: Stowe Season Rental- nightlife etc...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:19 pm, September 18, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Stowe