We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

snowchains and ski wear

WOLVEY UK
Level Contributor
341 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
snowchains and ski wear

we will be hiring a car to drive from Nyc - will we need snow chains or hire them if offered by the hire company. We are hoping to do some snowmobiling - will our ski jackets be ok with jeans or do we need our sallopetes? thanks!

Chester, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Chester, Ludlow, Vermont
Level Contributor
1,041 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: snowchains and ski wear

The car you hire will probably have snow tires. Unless your staying in a cabin on a dirt road or an off the beaten path B&B then you'll have no problems driving with these - if your worried get 4 wheel drive. Stowe from NYC is quite a hike - allow 5-6 hours. Most snowmobile places have clothing and helmets included in rental but you may want to check and/or bring your own sallopets. Jeans would be unsuitable to wear because of the cold (-15C today) and potential to get wet.

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: snowchains and ski wear

It has been my personal rental car experience that rental cars do not come with snow tires, they come with "All Season" tires. Tires like that are good in most conditions, except very icy conditions, or heavy snow. If it's heavy snow or very icy, you probably ought to avoid driving anyway, snow tires or not.

Nevertheless, you can and probably should at least ask your selected rental car company if they offer snow tires, because they are worth it if only for peace of mind if you are driving in the winter in Vermont. It's possible they have that as an option...but again, I rented a car from Hertz last winter to drive from Maine to Vermont, and the agent in Maine laughed at me when I asked for a car with snow tires, he told me that none of their cars had snow tires. I was shocked, to say the least.

I seriously doubt rental car companies would offer chains even if you asked for them, use and availability of chains in the U.S. is pretty rare these days.

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont, Ormond Beach
Level Contributor
8,462 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: snowchains and ski wear

4WD is great to have if the weather is lousy. Keep tabs of the forecast and you can upgrade your rental if needed.

4. Re: snowchains and ski wear

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:17 pm, September 16, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Stowe