We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Our very first Northeaster!

Stowe, VT
Level Contributor
120 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Our very first Northeaster!

And it's coming! They just posted the watch on the weather service. We we're supposed to get a ducsting to an inch last night, and it's 6 inches and still "dusting" as we speak.

The conditions on the mountain are tremendous. This is some of the best early season skiiing I've ever seen.

Probably a foot of powder by Monday!

NewEngland
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Our very first Northeaster!

Southern NH just got 8 inches of snow, there is plenty of snow for cross country skiing, down hill skiing and snowshoeing. Have never seen such good conditions this early. The winter solstice isn't even here yet.

Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,376 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Our very first Northeaster!

You southern new englanders lucked out with the snow. We didnt get much up here. Sunday on the other hand, as concierge stated, should be a good one.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Our very first Northeaster!

We sure are lucky in the south!! Okemo is swinging. Can wait for the 'big storm' on Sunday. Haven't seen a December like this in years.

Chester, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Chester, Ludlow, Vermont
Level Contributor
1,046 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Our very first Northeaster!

Its pretty amazing (and amazingly pretty!) - Okemo now has 85 trails open - this time last year there were barely into double figures. Guests skiing today said conditions were perfect. Powder/packed powder and blue skies! X-country skiing is open early her too with Grafton Ponds reporting a busy opening week. Another 10" forecast for Sunday. Theres a huge buzz and loads of interest in holiday visits. That'll teach us all for "thinking snow" :-)

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Our very first Northeaster!

I've lived in Vermont and New Hampshire all of my 54 years, and this December's snows and classic winter conditions remind me of what it was like in my childhood. I've become so accustomed to dry, snow-less Decembers in the last 2 decades that having a white Christmas wasn't a very safe bet at all.

For people from other parts of the world, you need to know that locals like me are thrilled to have such a lovely December winter. It's beautiful and amazing.

Mentioned in this post
Vermont
Vermont
United States
New Hampshire
New Hampshire
United States
Stowe, VT
Level Contributor
120 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Our very first Northeaster!

We ended up with 11 inches over the period of tuesday to thursday. A lot of it melted as it hit, but it snowed for about 48 hours straight.

Should be pretty amazing by tomorrow. I've lived in Stowe for 30 years, and there was just one other December this snowy, I think it was in 1982.

This is why I live here :-)

Stowe, VT
Level Contributor
120 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Our very first Northeaster!

We're in the middle of another deep snowfall. We got 5 inches on Sunday and are in the middle of about a foot and a half when all's said and done.

Incredible!

8. Re: Our very first Northeaster!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:17 am, September 16, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Stowe