We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stowe or Woodstock

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
38 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Stowe or Woodstock

Hi, I live in NC, and I'm planning my first trip to Vermont. Will there be enough snow in mid-December for skiing? Which town is more quaint--Stowe or Woodstock? I am trying to decide between the Woodstock Inn or Trapp Lodge or Stone Hill Inn in Stowe. This is a surprise for my husband's birthday. Thanks for your help. I would love some pros and cons for both!

Vig
Hackettstown, New...
Level Contributor
66 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Stowe or Woodstock

You probably can't go wrong either way. Although let me first say I haven't been to Stowe since I was little and don't remember much. I am going back this fall though and have been reading up on it.

I was in Woodstock last fall. The Woodstock Inn is a beautiful place (didn't stay there though). It is certainly a very quaint town. There may be slightly more to do in the Stowe region. On the other hand, Woodstock is probably just a bit closer for you. Either way though, you can't go wrong. They are less than 2 hours from each other so try to hit both if you can. I think it's worth it.

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
8,140 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stowe or Woodstock

Mid December will be dicey for skiing - could be great or non-existent. Trapp is beautiful. There are many other nice places in Stowe as well. The COC can send you info.

Enjoy!

Chris

Bay City, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
5,258 posts
1,279 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stowe or Woodstock

I pick Stowe. We have not been in the winter, so cannot comment on the skiing subject. However, we have been in both towns in summer, and to me, there is a lot more to do in Stowe. To me, it is the quintessential (sp?) New England town!

But since they are close, I'd ride over to Woodstock. It is also is quaint; good restaurants.

Both towns are upscale, a bit expensive compared to some other resort areas. But beautiful!

Tyme

Wolcott, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor
Level Contributor
911 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stowe or Woodstock

The Woodstock Inn is wonderful but there is more to do in Stowe. You may be able to get some skiing in; depends on the weather. One of the nice things about Stowe is it's proximity to Burlington which is worth a visit; especially in December .

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
444 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stowe or Woodstock

My vote is for Stowe. Have you looked into Topnotch?? It is very nice. Indoor pool, spa, sleigh rides, excellent food. Very romantic.

6. Re: Stowe or Woodstock

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:58 am, August 31, 2007
Concord...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Stowe or Woodstock

Stowe is a better bet in mid-December if you really want to ski- Woodstock is in the southern part of the state... Woodstock is worth a stop to visit Simon Pierce glass factory and eat at the attached grist mill.

north carolina
Level Contributor
276 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Stowe or Woodstock

I'm from NC, also. Been to Vermont before and stayed at Trapp Lodge. Going again late January just to see some snow. Pretty well guaranteed at that time. Planning to stay this time at Stonehill Inn. While Trapp Lodge was fine, the Stonehiill Inn looks a cut above and a little more quaint due to size. Great reviews on Trip Advisor.

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Stowe or Woodstock

There's much more to do in Stowe, especially if you like to hike/bike, the Stowe Bikepath is incredibly beautiful.

Woodstock probably has better and more gourmet/superexpensive restaurants, though, so if you are a gourmand, pick Woodstock.

10. Re: Stowe or Woodstock

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 pm, September 09, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Stowe