We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is 3 days in Shelburne/Lake Champlain too much? Need B & B

Which Shelburne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
California
Level Contributor
132 posts
Save Topic
Is 3 days in Shelburne/Lake Champlain too much? Need B & B

Hubby and I will have spent 3 days in Franconia and are thinking of 3 days in Lake Champlain area, making a day trip to Stowe. is 3 days too much? Also, would like a recommendation for a lovely B & B

with view of Lake Champlain... budget is $200 - 225 per night. From there we head to Woodstock. Thanks!

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is 3 days in Shelburne/Lake Champlain too much? Need B & B

No, it is not too much. Maybe too little time. I really would stay 4 nights if you can fit these many nights to your itinerary. If you worry about not having too much to do I can recommend a day trip to the Adirondacks. Just take the ferry across the lake and drive a loop to Lake Placid via Au Sable Chasm and back another way. What a scenic trip you would have and there is so much to do and see. If you need to be convinced why the Adirondack Mountains are worthy to visit in October I can give you a link to my photo album "Adirondacks in October"

I bet you would get more comments if you responded to those posted on your previous thread. http://tinyurl.com/2jog4a

As to accommodations I remember seeing on cyberrentals a beautiful rental located in Charlotte right on the lake. You are right to reserve your lodging now.

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is 3 days in Shelburne/Lake Champlain too much? Need B & B

Places is correct: 3 days is fine, and 4 would be better, esp. if one of your days is spent in Stowe.

I think you will find the Lake Champlain part of the journey has far more options to keep you entertained than Franconia has to offer.

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
7,949 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is 3 days in Shelburne/Lake Champlain too much? Need B & B

Burlington is worth a day or 2 as well. Nice restaurants, pubs, funky little art galleries, Bike path along the lake, etc... The Burlington or Grand Isle ferries are nice scenic little trips too.

Enjoy!

Chris

NH
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is 3 days in Shelburne/Lake Champlain too much? Need B & B

I have driven through the Lake Champlain area and it is stunning, so am interested in a similar (3-day) vacation in July. I am only 3 hours away and would like a nice mid-summer getaway. We would like to stay on the lake if something nice is available and will probably do Priceline in Burlington for the first night since we will arrive after dark. I would prefer an Inn or B&B (no housekeeping cottages) on the VT side if possible but really don't know the area. Any suggestions would be terrific!

Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,192 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is 3 days in Shelburne/Lake Champlain too much? Need B & B

A couple ideas - try the Inn at Shelburne Farms. It's gorgeous. Also try the Basin Harbor Club - it may be bigger than you are looking for though.

Indiana
Level Contributor
28 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is 3 days in Shelburne/Lake Champlain too much? Need B & B

Grew up in Vermont. Suggest one day at Shelburne Museum (you'll wish you'd had two days), one day in Stowe, and one day walking up and down Church St. in Burlington eating good stuff and visiting galleries. In Stowe, pack your hiking boots and do the ridge hike on Mount Mansfield. You can drive up to top of Mansfield, then hike North along the ridge. It's so much fun and only moderately strenuous. If you're in for a lot of fun, do an all-day hike over the whole face of the mountain (nose, chin, adams apple... never mind, they'll explain when you get there). Have fun! I have to wait until August to get there -- will envy you!

NH
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is 3 days in Shelburne/Lake Champlain too much? Need B & B

Thanks vter and gazooby - great advice! I went to Shelburne museum's web site and I can see why it might take two days. And thanks for the tips on places to stay - both good options. Looking forward to our trip!

8. Re: Is 3 days in Shelburne/Lake Champlain too much? Need B & B

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:16 pm, September 20, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Shelburne