We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St. Albans to Quebec City

Which Saint Albans hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Baltimore, MD
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
St. Albans to Quebec City

My husband and I are traveling to Quebec in the fall to board a cruise ship. We are considering alternatives to flying to get from our home in Maryland to Quebec City. I noticed that the Vermonter (Amtrak) will get us from Baltimore to St. Albans. Can anyone suggest the best way to finish the final lap of the trip into Quebec City? Thanks.

7 replies to this topic
Milton, Vermont
Level Contributor
214 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St. Albans to Quebec City

My sister-in-law lives in Quebec City and we've done the trip from Vermont many times. The best way to get there is by car. From Burlington VT, it's about a 4.5 hour drive.

I checked some schedules and see some issues but there is a solution. If you take the train from Baltimore to Burlington VT or St. Albans, you will arrive around 8:45PM. The last bus from Burlington to Montreal (where you would transfer to Quebec City) leaves at 7:00PM. So, that will not work. So, here's what I would do if you don't plan to drive or rent a car.

Take the train directly from Baltimore to Montreal via NYC. Once in Montreal, you can take the bus or the train to Quebec City. You may want to spend the night in Montreal after the long trip from Baltimore. If you do stay the night, you can stay at the Hilton Bonaventure which is connected to the Montreal Train station via underground walking links. Very convenient.

Baltimore, MD
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: St. Albans to Quebec City

Thanks for your thoughtful response. It looks like flying straight to Quebec City may be our best option. We haven't abandoned your idea of taking the train to Montreal and then transferring to Quebec City. Lots to consider!

Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,174 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St. Albans to Quebec City

I'm with skydog..if you don't want to fly take the train to NYC then up to Montreal.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: St. Albans to Quebec City

Please help with my situation. It's the reverse of Skydog. We are getting off a cruise ship in QC and want to see a little more countryside before coming home. I understand that you can't rent a car in Canada and drive back. My idea was train to Montreal, spend the night, train to Plattsburg, rent a car to drive to see Barre and Stowe, stay at B&B in St. Albans, and catch Vermonter in AM to return toward NYC. Is that ambitious or absurd?

Thanks!

Tennessee
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: St. Albans to Quebec City

Please help with my situation. It's the reverse of Skydog. We are getting off a cruise ship in QC and want to see a little more countryside before coming home. I understand that you can't rent a car in Canada and drive back. My idea was train to Montreal, spend the night, train to Plattsburg, rent a car to drive to see Barre and Stowe, stay at B&B in St. Albans, and catch Vermonter in AM to return toward NYC. Is that ambitious or absurd?

Thanks!

New Haven...
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: St. Albans to Quebec City

Greetings

I have been searching the opposite: from Quebec to New Haven, CT (after disembarking a cruise ship)

I do know there is "Via Rail" which connects Montreal and Quebec. You can ride Amtrak from New York to Montreal via the Amtrak Adirondack route. The Vermonter route connects New Haven, CT to St Albans, VT. The two routes do not cross. Best you look at the Adirondack route from NYC and go directly to Montreal rather than making another connection in New Haven.....and then what: you're in St Albans, VT: still a ways from Quebec.

New Haven...
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: St. Albans to Quebec City

check out the Adirondack route

Reply to: St. Albans to Quebec City
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Saint Albans