We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Farm Fresh Maple Syrup

San Francisco...
1 post
Save Topic
Farm Fresh Maple Syrup

Has anyone heard of a new syrup out there called Hidden Springs Maple? They just started selling syrup online and I want to order some, but want to get some advice on quality.

4 replies to this topic
Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont, Ormond Beach
Level Contributor
8,854 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Farm Fresh Maple Syrup

I've never had any issues with syrup from a variety of places. It's all been comparable over the past 20 years, as long as it's fresh and 100% syrup. You could try a small sample, then buy more if you like it.

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Farm Fresh Maple Syrup

Here's my question to the O.P.: What are your quality criteria that you wish to know?

Some people have preferences about plastic vs. metal for the cans/bottles.

Honestly, as long as it's 100% maple syrup, it's the most recent season/crop, and you understand the difference in syrup grades, most people would be hardpressed to discern differences between syrups from different farms.

Ames, Iowa
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Farm Fresh Maple Syrup

I was researching different sites online, so I could order Grade B maple syrup, and the name of this place kept coming up. I saw some good reviews for it, and the price seemed reasonable. I am waiting for my first order to come! I'm wondering if you have tried it yet? Your opinion?

Thanks!

Vermont
Level Contributor
4,069 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Farm Fresh Maple Syrup

Generally speaking, Pure Maple Syrup is Pure Maple Syrup. The only ingredient is maple sap, boiled down into syrup.

The Vermont Agency of Agriculture sets the standard grading system for producers in the state.

So all 100% Pure Grade B Vermont Maple syrup will be almost exactly the same regardless of the producer. Hidden Springs will be the same as Butternut Mountain will be the same as Maple Grove.

If you have a very discerning palate then you might find some very slight differences in flavor of batches made by smaller producers. When you produce small batches of syrup, you find that each batch has a slightly distinct flavor. The big producers make such volumes and bottle in such quantity that the subtly of individual batches is lost.

The 2011 season is just starting. You might want to wait to order syrup until late April or May in order to ensure that you are getting the freshest stuff.

Regardless, I have no doubt that you will be pleased with your Pure VT Maple Syrup.

Reply to: Farm Fresh Maple Syrup
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Putney