We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay for access to village and short drive to ski

Falls Church...
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay for access to village and short drive to ski

We are planning an after-Christmas trip to ski in Vermont. 22 and 19 year old children ski; husband and I do not. Therefore, would like to stay somewhere accessible (by car) to good challenging ski area where husband and I can hopefully walk to a nice town and occupy ourselves while kids ski. My parents recommended Manchester. if so, where would be good place to stay that meets these criteria? Thank you!

7 replies to this topic
Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,123 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay for access to village and short drive to ski

You should stay on mountain at Stratton. That way you have ski in out. You have the village at Stratton which is small or you can drive into Manchester. That is more expensive than than staying off mountain but gives most flexibility. We did that for years as wife did not ski. Most everywhere the closest town and mountain require some driving on east coast. Closest to perfect is Tremblant in Canada.

Falls Church...
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay for access to village and short drive to ski

Thank you. Excellent advice. Where do you recommend staying on stratton mountain?

Shaftsbury, Vermont
Level Contributor
740 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay for access to village and short drive to ski

You might want to think about staying on the mountain, but not at Stratton. There are some nice Inns and hotels along Route 11 and Route 100 in and around Londonderry, VT, just about a 10 minute drive to Stratton, and 15 minutes to Manchester,VT. This would also place you about 5 minutes to the lovely little town of Weston,VT and the Vermont Country Store. You be about 20 minutes into Chester,VT another little Vermont gem.

Staying in this area would also place your son within less then an hours drive of the ski areas of Okemo Mountain, and Killington Mountain, if they get bored with Stratton.

Burlington, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Burlington
Level Contributor
2,593 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay for access to village and short drive to ski

Stowe and Sugarbush have superior terrain (from a "challenging" standpoint as you are seeking) over the mountains in the southern part of the state. You could stay in Waterbury, and it would be 20 minutes to either Stowe or Sugarbush, and a 20 minute drive into Burlington for a daytrip.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,123 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay for access to village and short drive to ski

Not going to get into my mountain is bigger than your mountain debate. Stratton has some great terrain for all levels of ability in its own right. You can stay along the roads mentioned but then you are driving EVERYWHERE. You need to drive to the mountain where the kids are skiing and then to whatever town you want to visit and then back to pick up the skiers and then back to the lodging. I am not saying that many people don't do this but it isn't what you asked about. Check out the lodging at the stratton website. Many are ski in/out and some are a very short free shuttle bus ride. Either way, you have the ability to go off mountain and return at your convenience.

Stratton has many lodging options from condos to townhomes to lodges. Xmas and NY week are very busy so you should be looking now.

Burlington, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Burlington
Level Contributor
2,593 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay for access to village and short drive to ski

Stratton does have a small village at the base which is a nice feature if you are staying at the mountain. However, if challenging terrain is a specific objective of the trip, Stratton cannot hold a candle to some of the northern mountains. Stratton also receives substantially less snowfall, and is largely groomed runs on manmade snow. I have no problem recommending Stratton, but for a 19 and 22 year old who specifically want a challenging mountain, I do not think it's the best choice.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
191 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay for access to village and short drive to ski

I agree with folks recommendation for Stratton. Stratton has a small village with good restaurants and some shopping..try Verde for a special evening dinner. If you stay on the mountain, your chidren because they are older can walk through the village to the mountain and you and your husband can join them later. The town of Manchester with great shopping is 20 minutes away.

Another idea is going to Woodstock...a gorgeous small town..and driving your children to Suicide Six, small area with a number of expert slopes.

Reply to: Where to stay for access to village and short drive to ski
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted