We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reluctant Panther

Southern VT
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
1,199 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Reluctant Panther

There was a fire there this weekend and main building was destroyed. Thankfully no one was injured.

Shaftsbury, Vermont
Level Contributor
740 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reluctant Panther

It's a shame that such a fine place is no longer there. We here in the Manchester area will keep you up to date. The new owner has said that he will rebuild and get back up a running.

CT
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Reluctant Panther

Yikes! My wife and I stating there for a long weekend starting tomorrow... Are they still open?

Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,230 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reluctant Panther

Ahhh. No. http://www.benningtonbanner.com/Stories/0,1413,104~8676~3112131,00.html

I would give the local chamber of commerce a call to see what you should do. They hopefully can put you in touch with the folks who run the Inn.

Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,230 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Reluctant Panther

Here is the number for the chamber of commerce. 1-800-362-4144

I hope you can still come up and have a wonderful weekend and all the best goes out to the owners of the Reluctant Panther and hope you can get back up on your feet soon!

Shaftsbury, Vermont
Level Contributor
740 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Reluctant Panther

TCP I'm sorry to hear that your trip is going to be not quite as planned. I know the book keeper for the Panther, and well there business records didn't fair so well in the fire, so that is most likely why no one got hold of you.

The good new for your trip is that this is not our busy season, and you shouldn't have any trouble finding another wonderful Inn to stay at. A couple that are right in the same area as the Panther would be the 1811 House [although it is right across the street from the Panther and you might not want to spend the weekend looking at what is left], or the The Manchester Inn, which is just around the corner, but there dozen of other places as well.

Hope you enjoy our area.

Southern VT
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
1,199 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Reluctant Panther

Update on re-building plans: www.rutlandherald.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article…