We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rainy Sunday in Manchester

Which Manchester hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NJ
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Rainy Sunday in Manchester

It seems that there will be rain again when we go to Vt this weekend. We're staying in Manchester. Any suggestions as to something to do on Sunday if it's raining, as predicted?

We've visited most on the tourist attractions in Manchester.

Help. Hubby doesn't want to change date and anyway, we'll lose our deposit.

Thanks.

Shaftsbury, Vermont
Level Contributor
740 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rainy Sunday in Manchester

First let me give you the good news. Saturday is supposed to be the rain out day, with Sunday only expecting off and on showers.

Now you asked a tuff question. I'm afraid that all my suggestions will be things you’ve done already. But, I would recommend starting your Sunday off with a nice slow brunch at the Equinox Hotel’s Colonnade Room. It’s pricey, but the food is good. Than if you haven’t already seen them a trip to either Hildene or the Southern VT Art Center would make for a pleasant afternoon. Perhaps a trip over to Weston,VT [about a 15 minute drive] to browse the Vermont Country Store. Of course, there is always the favorite reason for coming the Manchester; which is shopping. You can go fishing in the rain [its better in the rain you know], and Orvis will be giving a class on fly fishing this Sunday www.orvis.com/store/product_choice.asp… You could also just relax. We have a movie theater in town http://www.villagepictureshows.com/ You could just hop in the car and drive around a few of our back roads and explore.

I might ask what you would doing here in Manchester if it weren’t going to rain? I might have more ideas.

NJ
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rainy Sunday in Manchester

Thanks for your input.

First, if he didn't rain, we'd do a lot of walking. Normally, we drive to Quechee, Weston Bennington and other towns within an hour drive. We love to walk a lot (to burn off the great food).

We always visit the Southern VT Arts Center. So, we will surely make a stop there.

I go to Vermont to relax and walk. It's the scenery I love. I'm coming from the NJ shore and have had it with the ocean.

Any other ideas are greatly appreciated.

Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,160 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rainy Sunday in Manchester

Rainy Sunday....hmmm...I'd go shopping ;) How about the Bennington Museum in Bennington and the Robert Frost site in Shaftsbury? I'm assuming you've already done a tour of Hildene, but if not, that is a must. Go to VINS (Vermont Institute of Natural Science) in Quechee.

NJ
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rainy Sunday in Manchester

I've done Hildene, which we loved.

I haven't been to the Bennington Museum. I can't believe that we haven't been there yet. We've been going to Vermont since 2000 and go at least twice a year.

It's a week before most attractions open but I'm getting some good ideas.

I must say that all the people I meet in Vermont and on this forum are so nice. There are some nice people here in the Metro area but not as considerate.

Thank you.

Western...
Level Contributor
953 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Rainy Sunday in Manchester

vtt77,

You could head a litle further south and do a trip to Williamstown, MA and see the Sterling and Francine Clark Art Museum or the Williams College Museum of Art. Mass MOCA (Massachusetts Museum of Contemporary Art) is just to the east of Williamstown in North Adams, MA. Williamstown is about 10 - 15 minutes south of downtown Bennington, via route 7.

Westernmass

Shaftsbury, Vermont
Level Contributor
740 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rainy Sunday in Manchester

Have you been over to Rupert,VT yet? [about a 10 minute drive, north on Route 30 through Dorset, turn left onto Route 315].

If you guy are looking for places with great views and all the walking you could ever want. Rupert is the place. First check out the Merk Forest http://www.merckforest.org/ Than if your still looking for more continue on Route 315 into W Rupert and stop at Sherman's Store [for a snack] they'll direct you to the old rail bed [now used as a walking path] that runs from Salem,NY all they through Rupert into the next town north Pawlet,VT.

7. Re: Rainy Sunday in Manchester

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 am, September 01, 2009