We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time skiing/snowboarding. Need advice

NYC
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
First time skiing/snowboarding. Need advice

I am planning a trip to Vermont, Killington this march for 5 day and I never ski or snowboard before. I need some advice on what to wear and bring to the trip. I know that I could rent the equipments, but what do I wear there? Do I need a ski lift ticket since I won't be skiing the whole trail? I will be snowboarding/skiing for three days straight is it pushing it for someone who never done it before? or limited to two days instead? Where is the cheapest place to rent equipments? Any other recommends please share. Thanks for reading.

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
985 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time skiing/snowboarding. Need advice

I would suggest that you decide to learn one and not both skiing and snowboarding in the same trip. Hopefully, you are able to master some basics and begin to enjoy one sport or the other.

If you are younger, snowboarding seems more popular. Although it is up for debate( I ski, only and I am older) I think skiing may be easier, as you can lift your feet with skis and spread your feet as needed, while snowboarding your feet are in one position, not as easy to keep your balance when you are first learning.

You have to have a ski ticket, for whatever part of the mountain you ski on, they don't have tickets based on where you ski. Pico Mountain is near Killington and is probably cheaper and as you stated you will not be using a lot of the mountain thus not benefiting from the need for a larger ski terrain, which raises the price.

Level Contributor
43 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: First time skiing/snowboarding. Need advice

Hi,

A friend and I went to killington over NYE weekend. We were both first time snowboarders. Killington offers a deal and for 1 day it was $149 for beginner lift ticket, lesson and rental. For an additional $60 they add two more days , lift , lesson and rentals at KIllington and once you complete the third lesson, they give you three days of lift tickets and lessons at PICO. ( a ski area 3 miles away) It is a phenomenal deal and the instructors were awesome. We are headed back this weekend for our third lesson. You do not have to use them all the same weekend. THey also offer this deal for skiing.

Dress in layers, I usually do tights, yoga pants, and the ski pants. Modells has ski pants for either 19 or 29 dollars and they worked great. Spent a lot of time falling and sitting on my but in the snow, and did not feel cold or get wet which was awesome.

Hope this info helps. Have fun.

Gr8phulgirl

Woodstock, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Woodstock
Level Contributor
1,696 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time skiing/snowboarding. Need advice

Mindy0977,

Gr8phulgirl offers good advice, but if that doesn't appeal then DaveBT's suggestion of basing yourself at Pico is also a good idea for snow boarding. However if you are a genuine 1st timer and are willing to book 3 x 2 hour lessons at Sugarbush 1 hour north of Killington, then they will give you an entire seasons pass free. As you are not coming until March you may not get to use this again but it is also a brilliant deal for first timers. Food for thought?

Like Dave BT I am an older skier....and convinced all these snowboarders will have shot knees and multi-pain issues by the time they are 50!

4. Re: First time skiing/snowboarding. Need advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:16 am, August 11, 2010