We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Boston to Killington

West Wales
10 posts
Save Topic
Driving from Boston to Killington

Hi

We're going to Killington in March and are driving up from Boston. Our flight lands about 18.30 and we're a bit concerned about driving in the dark. Has anyone done it?? Is there anything we should be aware of? We're driving from San Fran to Lake Tahoe without any problems....but it was in daylight.

Southern VT
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
1,226 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Boston to Killington

By the time you leave the airport, there won't be any rush hour traffic. Getting out of Boston is always a chore, so you'll want to have precise directions. The drive is about 2 hours highway and the last 45 minutes or so on a local road. If the weather is bad, I would definitely suggest staying the night in Boston or a local area.

However, if you are concerned about traveling in the dark, it might make sense to get a room in Boston for the night and head out in the morning when you can see better and just feel more confident!

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Boston to Killington

I wouldn't worry about it too much. It's actually a good thing that you are landing at that hour, because it means that you'll be clearing customs after the Boston rush hour traffic finally lessens.

There are two ways to go to Killington from Logan Airport in Boston: either take I-93 north to Concord NH, then I-89 to the Vermont Exit 1 to Woodstock, and follow Rt. 4 all the way to Killington....or take I-90 west to near Springfield Massachusetts, and connect to I-91 north to Vermont Exit 6 near Rockingham, on to Rt. 103 all the way to Rutland, connecting to Rt. 4 to Killington. My personal preference is the I-93/I-89 route, though depending on traffic conditions, either could be preferred.

Driving out of Logan airport is much easier than it used to be, thanks to the "Big Dig" tunnel construction that is now completed.

Also note that there are tolls to get out of Logan airport, $3.50....and you'll play another $4 or $5 if you use I-90. I-93 has a $1 toll in NH.

One tip: when you get your rental car, tune into WBZ-AM radio, at 1030 khz on the AM dial. Every 10 minutes (at 3, 13, 23, 33, etc.) they have a traffic report. While much of it will be meaningless to you, if there is a major traffic jam on either I-93 or I-90, you can learn that and adjust your route accordingly.

Chester, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Chester, Ludlow, Vermont
Level Contributor
1,043 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Boston to Killington

I second everything said by previous posters. Do bear in mind that you may well be tired as its five hours time difference, so you're brain could be telling you its 11.30pm when you land! That coupled with the sometimes VERY slow immigration/passport control (we've been stuck for two hours before!) and the time to get to the car rental depot it may be wise to spend the night in Boston if you can. Driving in the dark is not really a problem - driving in the dark when your tired and not used to watching out for wildlife could be stressful at best and dangerous at worst.

West Wales
10 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Boston to Killington

Thanks for all your comments. We did consider staying the night but when we went to Tahoe, the first time we stayed the night and found it a waste of time. So considering that was a 11 hour flight and 4 hour drive we thought this would be ok.

5. Re: Driving from Boston to Killington

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:29 am, September 18, 2009