We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snow conditions at Smugglers Notch in mid to late March

Which Jeffersonville hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Topic
Snow conditions at Smugglers Notch in mid to late March

My family is planning a ski vacation at Smugglers Notch this spring. The problem is my sister-in-law is due to have a baby in late February so we want to make sure we are around to help hence the late dates for skiing. We were thinking around March 17th for a week. I am from New England and have skied Vermont but I'm not sure if I've gone that late in the season.

We want to go to Smuggs b/c my children 7, and 4 (I am embarressed to admit) have never skied and I've heard their ski school is top notch. We are also looking for family/kids activities, a condo for the 6 of us (grandparents are coming) and non-ski winter activities etc so that is why we are aiming for Smuggs . However if the conditions aren't great on average that late in the season we'll start to look for places out west . Anyone skied smuggs that late? Any suggestions, recommendation on smuggs stuff or out west places too would be helpful.

Thanks for your help!!

Vermont
Level Contributor
4,069 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Snow conditions at Smugglers Notch in mid to late March

Smuggs is a great choice !! I've skiied Smuggs in March many times.

Since it's Vermont, it's impossible to say how the snow conditions will be.

Generally speaking there is still plenty of snow in the mountains in mid-March. March tends to be a little warmer than February and the snow will be softer, and mushier -- and perhaps not as plentiful.

On the bright side, it isn't as cold, so the time spent on the lift and in the lift line isn't as brutal.

The mountains are higher out west, and so the conditions are more reliable ... but Vermont has the best skiing in the east.

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snow conditions at Smugglers Notch in mid to late March

This post is too late for your vacation, but traditionally, March has some great ski conditions. In 2007, the first two weeks of April turned out to be amazing as well. Sometimes March/April will be spring conditions, other times we have felt like we were in the heart of winter with the place to ourselves!

3. Re: Snow conditions at Smugglers Notch in mid to late March

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:18 pm, August 19, 2009