We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lake Willoughby

West Hartford...
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Topic
Lake Willoughby

Hello,

What is the average water temperature in early July at Lake Willoughby? My husband and I are considering to stop by on the way to Quebec City. Is it too cold to swim? I know, warm and cold are personal opinion, but what is your advice?

Mentioned in this post
Lake Willoughby
Lake Willoughby
134 Reviews
East Burke, VT
Quebec City
Quebec City
Quebec, Canada
7 replies to this topic
Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont, Ormond Beach
Level Contributor
9,407 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lake Willoughby

Can't answer exactly.... though I bet some google searches might give the avg temp by month. When I was there water skiing in mid-summer, the water was fine for swimming.

Boston...
Level Contributor
3,988 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Lake Willoughby

The Southern End of Willoughby is one of the most scenic spots in all of New England IMO.

Maybe you know this and are asking about going 'again' this time just to swim. But if you've never been go regardless of water temp. if you have any interest in a scenic spot.

I've been there in July several times and always seen people swimming. But I was only fishing not swimming so can't say how warm the water actually was.

Mentioned in this post
New England
New England
United States
West Hartford...
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Lake Willoughby

Thank You!

Please suggest me a lodging at the Southern End of Willoughby.

Boston...
Level Contributor
3,988 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Lake Willoughby

I don't believe there is any other than a campground and perhaps some of private cottages are being rented. But try searching as I might be forgetting something.

Willoughvale Inn, at the other end, is nice.

Burlington, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Burlington
Level Contributor
3,013 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lake Willoughby

My guess is that the average temp in the top 4-5 feet of water is in the low 70s by early July but that will fluctuate depending on recent weather. Willoughby is a very deep lake for its size, so if there's wind and rain, and things get churned up, it can bring colder water up to the surface. On the flip side, several warm days with light winds can get the top layer of water pretty toasty. By early next week, with the current heat wave upon us and not much wind in the forecast, I wouldn't be surprised if some temp readings near the surface get into the 80s. It's going to be a situation where you swim along and feel significant temperature changes in the water, between the colder water from below mixing with the sun-warmed water at the surface. In any event, it looks like for the foreseeable future, a dip into any water source in VT will be a refreshing break from the sweltering heat.

West Hartford...
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Lake Willoughby

Thank You for such a detailed answer!.

We will be traveling on 91 from CT to Quebec city. What local roads should we take that will bring us to the Southern Portion of Lake Willoughby?

Any good lunch places near by?

Mentioned in this post
Quebec City
Quebec City
Quebec, Canada
Lake Willoughby
Lake Willoughby
134 Reviews
East Burke, VT
Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont, Ormond Beach
Level Contributor
9,407 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lake Willoughby

Here's one site. Convert to deg F. Avg ~69F in July.

https:/…statistics.html

Reply to: Lake Willoughby
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about East Burke
Recent Conversations