We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How are the leaf colors currently?

NYC
Level Contributor
36 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
How are the leaf colors currently?

Hi all, my wife and I are thinking about going to Burlington from NYC either this coming weekend or the 1st weekend of October. How are the leaf colors currently? Typically I think peak foliage would have already passed, but it seems this year that foliage will happen much later. Thanks very much in advance.

Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,286 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How are the leaf colors currently?

Burlington? Still pretty much green. Very little color change. The area right along Lake Champlain always changes late. If you come 1st weekend of October you will probably see a little color in Burlington but if you drive east into the mountains it should be great.

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
8,370 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How are the leaf colors currently?

There's zero peak color in the BTV area. And even from the top of Mt Mansfield in Stowe last weekend there was no significant color to be seen - just the first little blush of green fading to olive. So the good color should be roughly a week away.

Southern VT
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
1,215 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How are the leaf colors currently?

Perhaps you are just interested in Burlington...not sure. If not, there is color in the southwest corner of the state, though nowhere near peak. Normally up in Woodford and other higher elevations it's a couple of week ahead of Bennington, but I haven't been through Woodford in a couple of weeks to see how it looks up there.

NYC
Level Contributor
36 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How are the leaf colors currently?

Great, thanks very much for the replies. I guess next weekend (September 28) is probably not a good time to go? Would you recommend the weekend of October 5 or October 12? Though I'd rather have half the trees be green than for half the trees to be bare!

My wife and I are interested in taking a slow drive up Vermont, so definitely great to hear that there's some color in SW Vermont. The main reason I'm focused on Burlington is that we're thinking about taking a hot air balloon ride there, and it'd be nice to time it when the colors are vibrant.

Thanks again for everyone's help!

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
8,370 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How are the leaf colors currently?

Hard to predict. Either weekend should be good.... more green next weekend for sure. Might be peak the following weekend or so, but your tea leaves are as good as mine. :)

Southern VT
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
1,215 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How are the leaf colors currently?

You may not be aware that the October 12 weekend is Columbus Day Weekend...also known as the busiest weekend of the year in VT. The state ends up booked solid. If you want to come up that weekend, you'll have to search ASAP for accommodations and perhaps avoid staying in the most popular areas (Stowe, Woodstock), but rather search off the beaten track.

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
8,370 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How are the leaf colors currently?

Just drove thru Fairfax, Cambridge, Jeffersonville & Underhill today. The first patches of color are emerging nicely. Guessing that the foliage will be building over the next 1-2 weeks to the usual peak.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
84 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: How are the leaf colors currently?

I'm staying at the Stratton mountain inn next weekend. Do you think there will be a lot of color then? I sure hope so.

Woodstock, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Woodstock
Level Contributor
1,696 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How are the leaf colors currently?

Afternoon RachaelNY84

Only time will tell, but I doubt whether you will find peak viewing in that area at that time. However take a drive north for the day and you should find some...

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
8,370 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How are the leaf colors currently?

Agree w/ David. Drive around... if things are green, go north and/or to higher elevations.