We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Albany Airport To Burlington

Which Burlington hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
On-The-Beach in...
6 posts
Save Topic
Driving from Albany Airport To Burlington

My 1st trip to New England will be the 1st weekend in June. I had a Southwest voucher that I needed to use soon so I'm flying into Albany and then driving up to Burlington. Looking for the easiest possible route even if it's not the shortest! I've done the Mapquest & Yahoo maps search but thought a local or two might have some insights I wouldn't get with an on-line search!

Roswell, New Mexico
Level Contributor
718 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Albany Airport To Burlington

Easiest and most scenic may be to take Adirondack Northway (I-87) to Plattsburgh/ Port Kent. From Port Kent you can take a gorgeous ferry ride that deposits you in downtown Burlington.

Roswell, New Mexico
Level Contributor
718 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Albany Airport To Burlington

http://www.ferries.com/central_schedule.asp

This link should be helpful. Seriously, this is a drop-dead gorgeous trip. Driving through Vermont is a pain in the rear: teeny-tiny roads and poorly marked signage.

Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,189 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Albany Airport To Burlington

This is the way we always go when we go to Albany:

Albany to Burlington: I-87 NORTH to Route 149 east to Route 4 east to Route 22A north to Route 7 north. It's a very scenic drive, especially east and north of Whitehall.

Have a wonderful trip!

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Albany Airport To Burlington

While I agree that vter's route is the most direct route, woodsppm asked for the "easiest possible route even if it's not the shortest".

That makes wondertrev's suggestion of taking I-87 (Adirondack Northway) to Port Kent and taking the ferry across to downtown Burlington the route that fits woodsppm's criteria most directly.

And wondertrev is correct, the added bonus is that the ride is beautiful thru the Northway and on the ferry.

On the other hand, while vter's route is also scenic in spots, it is a major league pain in the butt to drive, full of speed zones, tedious traffic congestion at times, etc. Avoid it like the plague.

Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,189 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Albany Airport To Burlington

Another nice way would be to go to Lake George and drive on 9n to Ticonderoga. Then you could take the Ticonderoga ferry over to Shoreham. From Shoreham take 74 (I think) to 22A to 7.

6. Re: Driving from Albany Airport To Burlington

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:15 am, May 29, 2006
Woodstock, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Woodstock
Level Contributor
1,651 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from Albany Airport To Burlington

My simple comment about I87 is watch out for police radar traps as they are very keen on enforcing the speed limit, which of course i support!

Roswell, New Mexico
Level Contributor
718 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving from Albany Airport To Burlington

I find the speed traps on 87 to be terribly annoying. Watch out out on the nothern outskirts of Albany, and then watch out for every U turn marker. They ten to hide in the shodows. My advice is to buy a Valentine One. It may cost 4 bills, but I've never gotten a ticket in 10 years of Texas/NY highway driving. Otherwise, cruise with the minivans at 70mph.

9. Re: Driving from Albany Airport To Burlington

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:19 am, August 12, 2009