We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trying to plan a trip to vermont.....

Kennewick...
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
trying to plan a trip to vermont.....

We are trying to plan a trip to Vermont in May. I have been searching online for places to stay. I like Burlington, and we are looking for a 4 night 5 day gettaway for the two of us. We love the outdoors and we also like the downtown things to do. We will be flying from Oregon and I guess I am just looking for any answers to help me plan. Best place to stay that is close to the lake? And not over the top expensive... and what is the weather like in May? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,376 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: trying to plan a trip to vermont.....

May is a VERY busy time in Burlington. College graduations and then Memorial Day weekend.

That said...your only 2 choices for hotels downtown are the Hilton or the Courtyard by Marriott. These both overlook the lake. Otherwise, the rest of the motel/hotels are along Williston Road in South Burlington, Shelburne Road in South Burlington, Williston, or Colchester.

Weather...can't say for sure. It can be warm and sunny (shorts weather) or it could be cool. It really is an in between time of year weather wise so bring layers. Check the forecast a couple days before you leave to get an idea as to what to pack.

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: trying to plan a trip to vermont.....

I like the Courtyard by Marriott in downtown Burlington, a fairly new hotel near the lakefront.

I don't know what price range you consider to be "over the top expensive".

Weather in May can be very pleasant, sunny, temps in the 70s.

Milton, Vermont
Level Contributor
214 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: trying to plan a trip to vermont.....

Hi,

If you want to be right smack in downtown Burlington and right in front of the lake, then there is the Hilton Burlington and the Courtyard Marriott Burlington Harbor, but these hotels could be a little pricey. The general area for hotels is in South Burlington which is about 2-3 miles to downtown Burlington. There are bus services and you could walk it too. This general area is where the mall is along with many restaurants and other shopping facilities. Here, you will find the Holiday Inn Burlington, University inn, DoubleTree Hotel, The Windjammer Best Western, La Quinta, and a few others. Will you be renting a car while in Burlington? If you do, it'll make it much easier to give you more choices. Also, it'll help to help you with things to do.

Weather in May will be nice, but the night will be somewhat cool. What are the dates of your travel?

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont, Ormond Beach
Level Contributor
9,200 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: trying to plan a trip to vermont.....

The Hilton is generally ~$200/nite. If you can get a corporate rate or some other discount you may be able to get $100ish. Maybe AAA?... perhaps call Hilton and ask what discounted rates they offer. I'd guess the Marriott is similarly priced.

The weather in May is cool, but usually pleasant. Leaves are just starting to come out and there are a few early flowers.

Average high: 67 F, Average Low: 45,

Record high: 91, Record low: 25F

weather.com/outlook/…05468

Edited: 9:31 pm, February 09, 2012
Kennewick...
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: trying to plan a trip to vermont.....

Well after reading that May is going to be a busy time of year in Burlington I'm thinking maybe waiting till Sept or October. We can't go in the summer due to all of our children being home. So I was trying to plan a little trip for before all six kids would be home. BUT..... after reading a few things maybe we should rethink May? Really we aren't looking for busy. We are more looking for relaxing and enjoying 5 or 6 days together. Thank you for all your suggestions and I will be looking at the hotels mentioned. Thank you again!

Southern VT
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
1,238 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: trying to plan a trip to vermont.....

Just to clarify what you've been told about May being busy: it's busy on the weekends of college graduations. Otherwise, it is not a busy time of year for tourism. If your dates are flexible, or you are coming mid-week, it should not be a problem. Just call a hotel or 2 and ask which weekends are still free. On the other hand, if you can plan to be here in early to mid October and can book your lodging now, that is course the most popular time of year with fall foliage!

Another option for staying in Burlington are the B&Bs in town. Not sure about pricing compared to the hotels for your dates, but certainly worth checking them out if that's an option you are interested in.

Woodstock, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Woodstock
Level Contributor
1,719 posts
329 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: trying to plan a trip to vermont.....

Carrie A,

NBPinVT makes a sensible point in that May is not that busy i the rest of the State, compared to early October which is full on all week. Another idea...could you consider staying just outside of Burlington or are you planning to not rent a car? Having spent a vacation in Bend OR I think you will love Burlington as it is a little bigger has the lake views but it is a very compact walkable city.

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: trying to plan a trip to vermont.....

September/October will be even busier than May, what with students arriving back in town, University of Vermont Homecoming, and the hordes of tourists arriving for foliage season.

Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,376 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: trying to plan a trip to vermont.....

Didn't mean to confuse with my "May is busy" comment...certain weekends yes, with all the graduations. During the week it'll be fine. Sept/Oct are definitely busier.

dallas
Level Contributor
287 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: trying to plan a trip to vermont.....

Probably too little too late for your planning, but May in New England has been a wonderful time to travel for us. Also, I would strongly advise splurging on one night at the Inn at Shelburne Farms if you can. It's an 1886 mansion built as a model farm near Burlington, on the lake (kayaks available), walking trails, gorgeous grounds, cheesemaking at the barn....a fabulous experience.