We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon in Burlington

Which Burlington hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Topic
Honeymoon in Burlington

We are thinking about visiting two cities during this trip: Boston and Burlington, VT.

We’d like to fly into Boston and stay there for a few days. We would like to stay in a nice part of Boston where we could experience the local culture and find coffee shops, restaurants, and shops within walking distance. What area would you recommend? Any suggested hotel/bed & breakfast?

Next, we want to rent a car & make our way over to Burlington, VT. Is there anything we should see along the way? Any suggested driving route for a lovely leisurely drive? Any suggested place to stay in Burlington?

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
8,025 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon in Burlington

The drive from Boston up to Burlington is very pretty with plenty of long views of farms, towns and small mountains along I-93 and especially I-89.

The 2 best places to stay in Burlington hands-down are the Hilton and the Marriott. Both are about 4 blocks from the city center, with plenty of restaurants, clubs, art galleries and shops. They're both about 1 block from the waterfront too. which is great for walking, biking and people-watching.

Vermont
Level Contributor
4,069 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon in Burlington

I spend a lot of time in both Boston and Burlington.

In Boston, Newbury Street is a trendy place, filled with shops, restaurants and coffee shops. You'll find a lot of high end stores here but also some really unique treasures. Check out the Trident Bookstore & Cafe. At the end of Tremont is the Four Seasons and then Boston Common. Take a walk in the Common. It's beautiful.

I always like to walk on Tremont Street between East Berkley Street and Mass Ave. It's a trendy little neighborhood.

The Old North End is the Italian section. Lots of great Italian restaurants and markets.

A trip up to Harvard Square is a must. It's a really great area -- of course dominated by Harvard University but they have lots of little coffee shops, bars, restaurants, bookstores, shops ... the University has an amazing collection of art so you could check that out if you were interested.

Only drive in Boston if and when you have to. It's a very difficult city to drive and the public transportation (the T and the busses) is fantastic.

I always drive to Burlington by taking I-93 north to I-89. There aren't a lot of interesting stops in New Hampshire. In Vermont you could stop in Quechee. It's a pretty little place with a gorge. Downtown Montpelier is also really nice.

In Burlington check out the Church Street Marketplace and the rec path along the waterfront. Drive up to the Champlain Islands.

I'm not familiar with lodging options.

Have a great vacation and congratulations on your marriage.

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
985 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon in Burlington

The Marriott and Hilton are good suggestions. The Willard Street Inn and Lang House are two B & B's worth checking out. Both are a little less centrally located in relation to Church St. and the waterfront.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon in Burlington

After staying a couple of nights in Boston, we are planning to drive to Burlington and will be staying there for 5 nights. Currently I am looking for a B&B/hotel to stay in. I am inquiring on a few B&Bs from trip advisor reviews. Any recommendation? What location should I keep in mind as we are not planning to keep a car in Burlington? Or is it advisable to rent a car?

Thanks

Woodstock, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Woodstock
Level Contributor
1,660 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon in Burlington

Hi SepthoneymoonerNE,

On your trip from Boston you should drop in and spend a few hours in Woodstock, which is also near Quechee. The village website is www.woodstockvt.com. In the village is a Vermont top 10 attraction - Marsh Billings Rockefeller farm and museum as well as the Mount Tom national park and countless small independent stores.

I would get off the I89 at junction 1 in VT and take route 4 west to route 100. Then take route 100 north to meet the I89 at Waterbury...which happens to be a short 1 mile drive to Ben & Jerry's. Then it's a quick hop back on I89 into Burlington...

Have a great honeymoon and I also support Truman's comment that the North End in Boston having some great Italian restaurants. Also in the South End is a great restaurant if you like Asian food...Ginger Park.

Edited: 3:55 pm, June 25, 2010
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Honeymoon in Burlington

We will definitely spend some time in Woodstock on our way to Burlington. In Burlington, we are going to stay at Howard Street Guest House (153 Howard Street, Burlington, VT 05401). Do we need to rent a car?

7. Re: Honeymoon in Burlington

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, December 23, 2010