We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lake Placid to Burlington

Montreal
Level Contributor
47 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Lake Placid to Burlington

I'll be staying in Lake Placid next week for a few days and would like to also visit Burlington..I was just told that champlain bridge no longer exists. What is the best way to get across the lake? If any....thanks.

Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,360 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lake Placid to Burlington

I assume you'll have a car?

Yes, the Champlain Bridge is gone. However, there is a ferry service in it's place now. DO NOT go to Essex with the hopes of taking the Essex/Charlotte ferry as it has shut down for the rest of the winter.

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
985 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lake Placid to Burlington

Vter can confirm this, I believe the ferry by the bridge(no more) runs 24 hours a day continuously and it is free.

Montreal
Level Contributor
47 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lake Placid to Burlington

So where is the best place to take the Ferry...I'm from Montreal and not to familiar with your highways...could someone guide me pls. Also does the Ferry run at this time of year?

Thanks.

Edited: 9:13 am, March 10, 2010
Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,360 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lake Placid to Burlington

The ferry runs from Crown Point NY to West Addison, VT in pretty much the exact place the bridge stood. It is free and does run 24/7.

Montreal
Level Contributor
47 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lake Placid to Burlington

Thanks for the info. Would this be the same ferry that runs from Cumberland Head to Grand Isle to Burlington? I just googled something and this came up...or are there different ferries?

Edited: 9:58 am, March 10, 2010
Montreal
Level Contributor
47 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lake Placid to Burlington

To add to my above post...I've been reading up on this and have concluded that there are two ferries...one at crown point and another at Grand Isle...correct? I'm just not sure about the Grand Isle route...does one take a ferry from Cumberland Head to Grand Isle and another to Burlington or is there a bridge somewhere. Plus I 'd like to take a more scenic route...which one do you suggest? Going to cumberland or crown point.

Thanks again.

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
985 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lake Placid to Burlington

Note: that for the Grand Isle ferry there is a charge. The other ferry is free, because of the loss of the bridge and is subsidized by the states of VT and NY.

For the Grand Isle Ferry there is a bridge/causeway that crosses over from South Hero to Colchester to get to Burlington.

If I were you and if it makes sense for you, at the beginning of your trip, as you are coming from the North, I would take the northerly Grand Isle ferry and then take the Crown Point/ Addison Ferry, back to the other side, on your way over to Lake Placid. Or do the reverse, at the end of your trip, en route to your home.

Otherwise, if you are doing this excursion to Vermont from Lake Placid and returning to Lake Placid, I would take the Crown Point ferry back and forth across the lake. IMHO, it is not worth the effort to go that far out of your way, to use the other ferry, once you are in Lake Placid.

Edited: 11:31 am, March 10, 2010
Montreal
Level Contributor
47 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lake Placid to Burlington

Thanks for the info. From Lake Placid I plan on going to Burlington for one day (via Crown Point) and then back to Montreal. Could you tell me which is the best route (highway) to take from Lake Placid to Crown Point?

I googled it but I'm not sure which exit to take etc....

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
985 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lake Placid to Burlington

Use Mapquest.com, use "directions" tab to get the info needed. Sorry I don't know the specifics off hand.

Wilmington, New York
Level Contributor
196 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lake Placid to Burlington

In my opinion, even though you have to pay for it, as long as you're going back to Montreal, you're better off taking the Cumberland Head ferry TO Burlington, and then, on your way from Burlington to Montreal, take I-89 north to the bridge from VT to Rouses Point, NY. (There are signs to guide you.) Then take rte. 11 in NY to I-87 north which, as you probably know, becomes rte. 15 in Quebec at the border.