We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Montreal to Burlington - Border Crossing

Which Burlington hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
California
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Montreal to Burlington - Border Crossing

Hello,

Following the TA post, I would like to drive through beautiful islands in Lake Champlain coming from Montreal to Burlington on Oct 6 Sat morning.

To avoid the border crossing line at I-15 (I-87), I found two routes:

ALT-202 then ALT-223;

ALT-202 then ALT-225.

I will be grateful if someone can tell me if the border checkpoint office will be open for both routes and which of two is less likely to be missed.

As always, thanks so much.

Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,160 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Montreal to Burlington - Border Crossing

I don't know the route #s, but cross at Alburg, VT. The only time we ever saw a line up there was on a canadian holiday weekend.

I may actually head up to Montreal this weekend. I'll post my border wait times if I do. I try to avoid the "big" crossings.

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Montreal to Burlington - Border Crossing

Since you are entering from Canada below is a link to all border crossings. I know one of them you listed. It should be open at 6 or 7 am but the last time (maybe four years ago so things may changed now) we took one of these "shortcuts" got stock there for over one hour because of an accident before the crossing. Never, except once, had to wait at the 87/15 longer than 2-5 minutes and we used this border crossing hundreds of times. I went to graduate school at McGill University so this was my route for a few years. There is a separate line at the 87/15 for trucks. If you get to the border before 8:30 am you shouldn't wait longer than a minute unless something unusual is going on and in this case it can be the same for any other crossing. It is your choice. Good luck. Have all your passports ready, don't carry anything you shouldn't and you'll be in no time on the other side.

www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/general/times/menu-e.html

Toronto Canada
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Montreal to Burlington - Border Crossing

I hate to tell you this, but your Columbus Day weekend is our Thanksgiving weekend. Also, our dollar just reached par (and beyond) with the U.S. dollar, so the favourite Canadian activity of late is shopping in the U.S.

Having said that, I have no idea about the above border crossings - except that in general border crossings to U.S. areas with good shopping are VERY busy.

I'm crossing at Gananoque. No shopping there, but last time we did this there was still an hour's wait.

Good luck!

Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,160 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Montreal to Burlington - Border Crossing

I listen to a radio station out of Montreal on the morning commute and at 7:30 am the wait was already 20 minutes heading south at either 87 or 89 (can't remember which one). Last year this weeken we headed up to MTL and crossed at Alburgh and there was a line of at least 15-20 cars heading south at that crossing (which is unusual as it's so out of the way).

I agree with the above poster. Given the Canadian holiday and the dollar, there is going to be a wait everywhere.

5. Re: Montreal to Burlington - Border Crossing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:47 am, September 11, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Burlington