We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stowe or Waitsfield for fall foliage

California
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Stowe or Waitsfield for fall foliage

Hello,

We are planning a short trip from Burlington to Montpelier on Oct 6.

We have only a few hours and would like to follow the recommendation on tripadvisor and take route 100 for a short drive. We can go north to Stowe or go south to Waitsfield. Would like to know which part is prettier.

Thanks so much.

Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,346 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stowe or Waitsfield for fall foliage

Route 100 north of I-89 to Stowe is pretty commercialized. I would suggest going to Waitsfield.

Take I-89 south to Waterbury. Hop on Route 100 south to Waitsfield. Then take Route 17 west over the Appalacian Gap to Route 116 north. Follow Route 116 back into South Burlington.

This is a very pretty drive and will give you a good view of the area.

Being that Oct 6 is Columbus Day weekend, Stowe is going to be an absolute zoo.

southeastern, pa
Level Contributor
232 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Stowe or Waitsfield for fall foliage

Go with Route 100 South and Waitsfield or Warren. As stated Stowe will be a zoo.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
80 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stowe or Waitsfield for fall foliage

Go to Waitsfield, no question.

My family has a house in Stowe and even we avoid Stowe Columbus Day weekend -- are the two busiest days of the year at Ben & Jerry's factory scoop shop.

I suggest slight modifications to Vter's suggestion. Take 100 into Historic Waitsfield Village. Just after the Mobil station and Village Grocery on your right, turn left onto Bridge Street/East Warren Road. Pass through the one-lane covered bridge, and continue on East Warren Road, past the Round Barn Farm on your left (which makes for some nice pictures, as the Inn is beautiful and there are often cows in the fields behind the Inn and across the street), until it becomes Brook Road, which takes you into Main Street Warren, Vt. Stop for lunch, snacks, coffee etc. at the Warren General Store -- which has great sandwiches and soup. If it is warm enough, you can outside next to the river. Then proceed North up Route 100, which is called the 43rd Infantry Memorial Highway at this point, and then take the left onto Route 17 and follow Vter's directions back to Burlington. Warren is about 15 minutes from Waitsfield.

The detour will get you a bit higher up and you will be able to truly see the surrounding area. Check the Inn at the Round Barn Farm's website to see the views.

Have fun.

Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,346 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stowe or Waitsfield for fall foliage

Good idea Baxter re: going down to Warren too. The Round Barn Inn is beautiful.

southeastern, pa
Level Contributor
232 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Stowe or Waitsfield for fall foliage

Here's another vote for the Warren General Store! Good lunch suggestion.

Warren, VT
Level Contributor
39 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stowe or Waitsfield for fall foliage

Hi TravelGoerCa,

If you go on E. Warren Rd. from Waitsfield, you will pass by Airport Rd.(right- 1 mile) If you have time, stop by for a glider/sailplane ride at the Warren/Sugarbush airport. Good way to view the whole valley.

Google "Sugarbush Soaring" and you will get the official website. There is also an excellent video from YouTube that is worth looking at. The DinerSoar restaurant is located at the airport. The Warren Store is also a great place for lunch.

California
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Stowe or Waitsfield for fall foliage

Hi All,

Thanks so much for your reply. I will follow your advice. It is really beautiful.

I just saw a nice extended route from a tour book and would like to know if it is possible and worth all the driving since I have only the afternoon for this area.

The route starts from Burlington, Charlotte, Vergennes, Middlebury, Ripton, Hancock, Warren, Waitsfield, Waterbury (a total of 89 miles).

I will then continue to Littleton, NH via I-89 where we will stay for the night.

As always, thanks a lot!

California
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Stowe or Waitsfield for fall foliage

Hello, Please disregard my earlier post today. I don't think I have enough time to do the routes as recommended in the tour book. I would rather stay in one place and enjoy the surroundings.

Thanks anyway.

9. Re: Stowe or Waitsfield for fall foliage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:21 am, September 09, 2009