We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are the leaves peaking in Burlington area now? October 2017

Texas
Level Contributor
1,139 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Are the leaves peaking in Burlington area now? October 2017

peaking now?

5 replies to this topic
Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,489 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are the leaves peaking in Burlington area now? October 2017

Yes and no? Really depends on where you are. There is still quite a bit of green, but if you head up a little in elevation you will see some color. If you don't see any color you like in the immediate Burlington area drive out to Jericho/Underhill, or Lincoln/Starksboro/Huntington. I've been driving around quite a bit and am sad to say I'm a little disappointed this year...colors are just not as vibrant as they have been in years past. We've had an unusually warm fall which must have confused the trees!!

Burlington, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Burlington
Level Contributor
3,062 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are the leaves peaking in Burlington area now? October 2017

In and around the immediate Burlington area, not really. A few maples here and there have turned, but it's not widespread. I don't know if we'll miss a true peak this year of if it's yet to come.

Montpelier, Vermont
Level Contributor
709 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are the leaves peaking in Burlington area now? October 2017

It's like Hans Christian Andersen's melancholy tale of the Emperor's Nightingale, where the mechanical bird sang so much more reliably than the real one (yet when it broke, stayed broken.) There is much beautiful foliage around the state, in all the places people have mentioned and then some. It's a gift of nature and the Elephant of Surprise, not a machine-made product with human specifications. Yesterday the leaves were exquisite out north of Plainfield, Marshfield, Calais, where I was lost (literally as well as figuratively!) in admiration of near trees and distant hills. Wherever you end up, I hope for you to notice beauty.

Texas
Level Contributor
1,139 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are the leaves peaking in Burlington area now? October 2017

I have seen a few trees where only 20% is peaking and the other 80% is green. I took pictures of the colorful spots. But I am glad they are green rather than leafless. I still have hope. :) ;) Great trip!

Edited: 10:33 pm, October 13, 2017
Texas
Level Contributor
1,139 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Are the leaves peaking in Burlington area now? October 2017

As of October 20, 2017 in Burlington VT, the locals say that it is very warm for October so the leaves have not changed to brilliant colors yet. They say that Burlington had a wet spring and dry summer so the leaves may not get very colorful this year. They also say this is probably not ‘peak’ foliage color yet, but then again, this may be peak as this may be as good as it gets this year. They can only confirm ‘peak’ after the fact. The idea that ‘peak’ is the best of the season can only be confirmed when it is noticed that the leaves are ‘past peak.’

That being said, there is great color in a least 20% of the trees in Vermont and vicinity. I took some fantastic photos and I am happy with them. The weather has been sunny, breezy, refreshing, cool (for a Texan) and perfect. The trip was very enjoyable. Boston, Lexington and Concord were mostly green when I left those cities on October 14.

However Montpelier may have been a been a little better location for accommodations than Burlington as most of the recommended drives were closer to Montpelier. But it is only a 40 minute drive between cities and a great way to see the trees.

I ate many times at Prohibition Pig in Waterbury. Small servings, a bit pricey but great flavor.

Reply to: Are the leaves peaking in Burlington area now? October 2017
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted