We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Daughter attending UVM

Whitehouse Station...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
Daughter attending UVM

We live in Central NJ, looking for options to get her home, or at least within a 2 hour drive. Flights are a little too costly.

7 replies to this topic
Montpelier, Vermont
Level Contributor
705 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Daughter attending UVM

The Amtrak Vermonter runs once a day. It's a long ride and I don't know if it's less expensive than flying. There is also a Greyhound bus. Also, if she can get a ride an hour and a half south to Rutland, there's a different once a day Amtrak train (Ethan Allen Express) that is a somewhat shorter ride. But she can probably find fellow students with whom she could share a ride home.

Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,486 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Daughter attending UVM

Keep your eye on JetBlue as they often run sales on flights between Burlington and JFK.

When I went to UVM eons ago (ha) there was a "ride board" somewhere on campus where people could post notes looking for rides. There may still be something similar?

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
2,527 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Daughter attending UVM

Megabus or Greyhound to NYC or Boston and then another bus/train from there?

Edited: 1:55 pm, September 25, 2017
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
26,233 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Daughter attending UVM

I do not know what is a 2-hour drive from you, but used Google maps to get directions from Burlington to Penn Station Newark.

Google Maps suggests Megabus or Greyhound to Boston and then the Northeast Regional Amtrak train to Newark Penn Station.

It also suggests a somewhat convoluted, but shorter route ... using the local buses, get to the Burlington Airport; take a Boston-bound greyhound bus just three stops and meet Dartmouth Coach at the Hopkins Center and ride it to NYCity. From there, they suggest Greyhound to Penn Station.

Edited: 9:34 am, September 26, 2017
Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
595 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Daughter attending UVM

She can try the Wheeli app, kind of like Uber for college students looking for rides to other cities from their campus. (I clicked on the link from the UVM page, so the rides and ride requests from Burlington were listed.)

https://www.wheeli.us/

Montpelier, Vermont
Level Contributor
705 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Daughter attending UVM

I think Amtrak to NYC or Newark or Trenton will be faster than bus to Boston.

Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,486 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Daughter attending UVM

I'm pretty sure Megabus discontinued it' s Burlington-NY route. The Wheeli app is a great suggestion. Didn't know about that one!

Reply to: Daughter attending UVM
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted