We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do with limited mobility

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
26,404 posts
67 reviews
Things to do with limited mobility

I will be visiting my first-year UVM student at the end of the month. (I was specifically asked NOT to come parents' weekend because it will be way too busy.) My husband will join me, but he cannot walk long distances or stand for a long periods of time. We arrive on a Saturday, late morning and leave on Sunday, late afternoon.

I have asked my student to think of a few things to do. But, in case she is too busy or doesn't come up with anything, I'd like to have a few things in my back pocket so to speak. So far I've come up with a boat tour of the lake on the Spirit of Ethan Alan and the Shelburne Museum. Both sound like fun without being too strenuous. I think we'll bring a wheel chair in case it is needed for the grounds of the museum.

I am open to any suggestions you may have, since I'm sure this will not be our only visit. ;)

THANK YOU!

7 replies to this topic
Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,508 posts
38 reviews
1. Re: Things to do with limited mobility

Yes, bring the wheel chair for the museum. It is a large property. There is a shuttle that does rounds that you can hop on / off. Keep in mind that the museum is quite large and depending on what you want to see there you could easily spend a whole day.

The Spirit of Ethan Allen is a fantastic idea.

Have fun! Hope your daughter is enjoying UVM.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
26,404 posts
67 reviews
2. Re: Things to do with limited mobility

Thanks vter. She is loving it. I will spend some time on the Shelburne Museum site and pick and choose some exhibits.

And then of course, my kid may come up with some suggestions, too.

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont, Ormond Beach
Level Contributor
9,564 posts
93 reviews
3. Re: Things to do with limited mobility

The Flemming Museum on the UVM grounds is (or at least was) a great, small museum to see in a couple of hours.

Doing a driving tour from Burlington to Stowe could be another fun 2-4 hour activity. On the way to Stowe, there's B&J's factory (not a fav of mine - I'd bypass it), and the Cold Hollow Cider Mill Store in Waterbury. Stowe itself is very pretty - you could do a short stroll/wheel on the rec path, drive up the toll road, or take the gondola up Mt. Mansfield. Then drive up Rt. 108 thru Smuggler's Notch, and loop back to Burlington thru Jeffersonville, Cambridge & Milton. The whole loop is about 2 hours of driving, plus whatever stops you make.

And of course, there are a bunch of good restaurants in Burlington. :)

Burlington, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Burlington
Level Contributor
3,075 posts
12 reviews
4. Re: Things to do with limited mobility

You may be able to catch the tail end of the farmer's market in City Hall Park in downtown Burlington on Saturday after you arrive. There are handicap parking spots on the streets around the park, and benches throughout the park. From there, you've got Church Street with lots of shops and restaurants, and then it's a few blocks down to the waterfront if you want to do the SOE cruise or just check out the views (plenty of handicap parking down there as well). I've observed over the years that many parents coming to visit their students really enjoy just spending the afternoon downtown especially on a nice day.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
26,404 posts
67 reviews
5. Re: Things to do with limited mobility

Thanks Chris and Adm. We've done Ben and Jerry's ... 'nuf said. ;)

My kid likes the Farmer's Market. She was a counselor at a Camp off of Rte 89 in NH and on a staff weekend off, a few of them went to Burlington and caught the farmer's market and Church street ... so if I get there on time, we might just do that. When we were there for orientation in June, I scouted out the handicapped parking spots so I hope we are ok in that respect. If not, I can drop husband and daughter off and walk back from wherever ...

Burlington, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Burlington
Level Contributor
3,075 posts
12 reviews
6. Re: Things to do with limited mobility

Right here on College Street is a handicap spot https://goo.gl/maps/k5kHCmQnhSR2 it's on the right as you are going down the hill toward the lake. But there are others, and dropping off right there would work as well. Downtown can get pretty congested with cars and people on a nice Saturday afternoon, but just have patience and don't be in a rush, and you'll be fine. It's nothing like driving around Boston ;-)

Texas
Level Contributor
1,139 posts
10 reviews
7. Re: Things to do with limited mobility

I would say forget about the wheelchair. The area is about 40 acres with lots of buildings. Most are not accessible by wheelchair (area inside is too small) and most are two stories with no elevators. The buildings are spread on a sloping pasture and you will not, in my opinion, be able to push wheelchair up the hill or safely down the hill because the paths are like blacktop… too rough to be safe in my opinion for a wheelchair and too steep.

I have seen a lot of early American stuff. In fact I grew up with some of it. So I may be jaded. But in my opinion, most of what is at the Shelburne is not unique nor particularly fascinating except for the fact that it is a HUGE collection of many things. For instance, the decoys and carved birds on display may be in excess of 3000 pieces. Many looked the same to me with only small differences. And the Shelburne may have the largest collection of carriages in the world.

The only thing that I really enjoyed was some 'portrait art' in a special exhibition. The art was done within the past twenty years using hooked-rug technique.

Some buildings have extremely valuable art by Monet, Wyeth and other artists so if you are art aficionado you will be impressed.

Edited: 8:16 pm, October 27, 2017
Reply to: Things to do with limited mobility
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted