We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bennington or Williamstown

new york
Level Contributor
409 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Bennington or Williamstown

Been searching and reading posts. Doing a quick trip to see the foliage and celebrating a anniversary. Leaving this Thurs (hopefully) coming back Sunday or Monday depending on hotel availabitly. Having said that, need to find a town that's has good restaurants, a little upscale accommodations, and central to do some sights. Got a suggestion from a TA person and suggested Brattleboro/Keene. Brattleboro doesn't seem to be our taste, want to be somewhere a little upscale so Keene came up but, looking at the accommodations the reviews for the hotels are not the best. Came across some other posts that suggested Bennington and Williamstown. Of the 2 towns I mentioned which would you suggest? We are open to other ideas too. We would like to limit the drive to 4 hours or under. We don't have much of an idea of what do but perhaps bike along a scenic road or tour historical sites.

Thanks a bunch!

Old First Congregational Church
Cemeteries, Sacred & Religious Sites
Bennington Battle Monument
Monuments & Statues, Lookouts
Bennington Museum
Art Museums, History Museums
Silk Road Covered Bridge
Bridges, Points of Interest & Landmarks
7 replies to this topic
Southern VT
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
1,238 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bennington or Williamstown

The two towns are only a 1/2 hour apart, so you can easily visit sites in both areas no matter where you stay. Williamstown would be considered more "upscale" than Bennington but it really is mostly a college town. There is more access to historic sites in Bennington: Bennington Museum and Monument, The Old First Church with Robert Frost's grave, covered bridges, Hildene in Manchester, etc. The Bennington area has some lovely B&Bs (check North Bennington as well) and several very good restaurants.

Manchester is another option, have you considered that? Several upscale places to stay, plenty of restaurants and a good location for touring around.

Your biggest issue as you mention will be lodging, but give it a whirl, the foliage is gorgeous right now!

Edited: 6:38 am, October 02, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Bennington Museum
Bennington Museum
286 Reviews
Bennington, VT
Manchester
Manchester
Green Mountains, VT
North Bennington
North Bennington
Bennington, VT
Burlington, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Burlington
Level Contributor
2,875 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bennington or Williamstown

"...need to find a town that's has good restaurants, a little upscale accommodations, and central to do some sights."

I think you should consider driving the extra bit up to Burlington. It will definitely provide you with exceptional restaurant options and upscale accommodations, plus an easy drive on I-89 into the heart of the Green Mountains for seeing foliage.

That said, Manchester is not a bad option and a bit closer to you. Smaller town than Burlington, but does have some nice lodging and dining options (if not booked solid).

Neither Bennington nor Williamstown jump out at me as destinations offering anything special.

Mentioned in this post
Manchester
Manchester
Green Mountains, VT
Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Provincetown, Wellfleet
Level Contributor
6,149 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bennington or Williamstown

Manchester is fine if you are interested in outlet shopping since most of the downtown is taken up with outlets. Of the two choices you mentioned (Bennington and Williamstown) I would recommend Williamstown (The Village Beautiful). Bennington is fine also, but of the two I pick Williamstown.

http://humanerace.org/the-village-beautiful/

Mentioned in this post
Manchester
Manchester
Green Mountains, VT
Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,250 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bennington or Williamstown

Another vote for Williamstown. Very nice museums, restaurants, foliage drives, etc. Lodging will be the issue.

new york
Level Contributor
409 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bennington or Williamstown

Thanks! I think we are going to split the trip to 2 nights in one town and 2 in another. We thought somewhere close to the nyc on our way back home any suggestions? Maybe we should stay in Brattleboro? Although, it looks a little worn down, maybe it's just the pictures.

Looking at hotels in Williamstown... short supply as you predicted.

Thanks!

Wilmington, Vermont
Level Contributor
118 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bennington or Williamstown

My recommendation is that of the two you chose Williamstown. First its a nice upscale looking college town (home to Williams College), sports a number of art museums with excellent collections (the Clark and the Williams College Museum) and if contemporary interest yiou your a 10 minutes drive to MassMOCA in neaby N. Adams. As one poster noted your not much further than 15 minutes to Bennington or a drive north to Manchester on historic Rt 7A and perhaps a visit to Hildene, which based on my observations today in Bennington, should be at or possibly past peak by the weekend. In either location, lodgings are going to be tight considering the time of year and the fact that this weekend will be Open Studio weekend throught Vermont.

Wherever you end up have a wonderful trip.

Mentioned in this post
Manchester
Manchester
Green Mountains, VT
Vermont
Vermont
United States
Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,250 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bennington or Williamstown

If B or W are not available (or even if B is), my second choice would be Manchester or environs (Dorset, Grafton).

Mentioned in this post
Manchester
Manchester
Green Mountains, VT
Dorset
Dorset
Green Mountains, VT
Reply to: Bennington or Williamstown
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted