We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting the Bennington Vermont area in mid June

Florida
Level Contributor
6 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting the Bennington Vermont area in mid June

Hello to everyone from northern Florida. Your lovely state is one of the places that was always on my PLACES TO VISIT LIST BEFORE I DIE :) and in mid June I will be finally afforded the opportunity. I plan to start my Vermont trip in the Bennington area and the surrounding areas driving up Route 7A from what I have read has the most beautiful scenary .

Does anyone have any other suggestions I am an avid photographer. I also like to check out any reported haunted locations while traveling.

Any good but reasonable priced motels would be appreciated too.

One other thing... I am not much of a map reader...Thank God for my Garmin GPS. I would like to visit New Hampshire and Maine as well , what routes would I take? Ultimately my plans are to end up in the Watertown NY area for a couple of days with my sister in law.

Thanks to everyone.

BettyDee

soc_wker@yahoo.com

Shaftsbury, Vermont
Level Contributor
740 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting the Bennington Vermont area in mid June

Route 7A is lovely, but if your planning to go to NH and ME, I would recomend that from Bennington you take Route 9 east over the mountain toward Brattleboro. You'll get some breath taking views and nice little towns. From Brattleboro you can head across the southern part of NH [if you take route 101 stop and hike up MT Monadnock]. You'll come into Maine through the southern tip at Kittery. When you get ready to come back on your way to Watertown NY, pick up route 302 in Maine, it will wind you back through the NH White Mountains and into Vermont just south of the NorthEast Kingdom and into Montpelier VT. You could go from here to Burlington on Route 2, or better yet in Waterbury,VT pick up route 100 south.

No matter what route you chose, I'm sure you'll have all the photo moments you can stand. I can't help you with ghost.

NewEngland
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting the Bennington Vermont area in mid June

If you do decide to hike Mt Monadnock, you should seriously consider spending the night in the area. While it is the most climbed mountain, that does not mean it is not challenging. A relaxing dinner and good rest would be in order after your hike.

Florida
Level Contributor
6 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting the Bennington Vermont area in mid June

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I am counting down the days. Betty

Southern VT
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
1,215 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting the Bennington Vermont area in mid June

Betty: sounds like a great trip! Here are a few suggestions from a local of Bennington:

MooseFest 2009 is going to be in full swing then. I saw the decorated moose last night and they are amazing; they'll soon be all over town. You can find more information at the Chamber of Commerce in Bennington or at bennington.com.

A great walk is at the historic Park-McCullough house in N. Bennington. If you go at dusk it is very common to see deer and other wildlife. There are beautiful draft horses there as well. Great photo ops.!

Motels: the TA reviews are quite accurate. Harwood Hill is a cute small place, Knotty Pine and Paradise are also places that are clean and less expensive.

Check out Joe Citro's blog: http://josephacitro.blogspot.com/ He is the Vermont ghost expert it seems. Also Southern VT College has an old mansion that is mentioned as possibly being haunted by those who enjoy such things. There's a house in nearby North Adams, MA that was recently featured on some TV show about ghosts. If you're interested, re-post here and I'll give you directions. Lastly, google "Bennington Triangle" for info on weird disappearances that happened in the area.

Covered bridges: More good photo ops. and there are a number of them in Bennington. The chamber can give you a map of where to find them.

There's lots more possible, just let us know what you are interested in!

Florida
Level Contributor
6 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting the Bennington Vermont area in mid June

Thanks for the updated info. I am looking forward to Moose Fest, I saw some of the previous years photos.

I have been reviewing trip advisor for a place to stay and Serenity cottages have excellent feedback. Whats your opinion? Are they real close to Bennington? Also any directions would be most appreciated. Thanks for the ghost info. Betty

Shaftsbury, Vermont
Level Contributor
740 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting the Bennington Vermont area in mid June

Serenity cottages are very near my home. I haven't been inside them in about ten years, and back than they were nice, but basic. What makes this place lovely is that they are cottages, so more private. They are only about 15 minutes to Bennington, and are in a rural area. Some really nice views.

But you should be aware that you are going to be 5 to 10 minutes from food and shopping. Closest resturants are 15 to 20 minutes. [Hint if you stay here just to the north about a mile there is a farm to market store. It's got the best fresh tomatoes and other local raised foods. Clearbrook Farm http://clearbrookfarm.com/ ]

Florida
Level Contributor
6 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting the Bennington Vermont area in mid June

Thanks VT Mom, I am wanting to buy some maple syrup for myself and to bring back to co workers , I am a social worker by profession. I want to purchase it and other home grown VT items from local pop/mom places instead of regular shops.

If you IM , put me on your contact list and you can share additional area info with me. Betty

bettydavis128@hotmail.com

IM /chat

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
985 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting the Bennington Vermont area in mid June

How long is your entire stay? If it is a week including 2 days with your sister in law- I would suggest 2 days in Bennington area, 2 in New Hampshire and 1 in Northern Vermont( Stowe or Burlington) en route to Watertown. It will be too much to get to Maine and back to N. New York unless you have more time.

9. Re: Visiting the Bennington Vermont area in mid June

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:31 am, November 21, 2009