We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has anyone been to the Garlic Festival?

Which Bennington hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Montclair, New...
Level Contributor
346 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Has anyone been to the Garlic Festival?

We are considering attending the Garlic Festival in early September. We have been to the one in NY and enjoyed it. We have family in Albany and could probably stay there but not sure how far that is. May want to stay in Bennington one night instead of traveling back and forth. Is Hampton Inn our best bet for a family of 4? Thanks!

Southern VT
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
1,195 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Has anyone been to the Garlic Festival?

Hi. This is the first year the Garlic Festival will be held in Bennington; previously it was in the smaller town of Wilmington. We've been several times and greatly enjoyed it. There are workshops (garlic braiding, etc.), vendors selling lots of varieties, garlic foods of all types - from garlic bread to garlic ice cream - music, kids' activities, etc. I would assume they will have all this again in the new location. We're missing it to take son #1 to college, so are bumming out!

The location is ideal for a drive in from Albany, it will be on Route 9 West (West Road), not 5 minutes from the NY border, and under an hour from Albany. When you are near the state line, do not take Route 279, the new bypass. Instead turn right at the flashing light and head into Bennington on NY Route 7 which turns into VT Route 9 and it will be on your left just a few minutes over the border.

If you do decide to stay in town, I think the Hampton Inn is fine. Also, the Paradise Motor Inn is good for a family, w/ a nice swimming pool and good location on Main St.

Shaftsbury, Vermont
Level Contributor
740 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Has anyone been to the Garlic Festival?

I don't know anything about the Garlic Festival, although it sure sounds like fun, and I just may check it out this year. One change to the above reply post however. Should you decide to stay at the new Hampton Inn you should Route 279 into Bennington, as the first [and only] exit off this road will bring you right out by the Hampton.

There are quite a few nice motels in the Bennington area. I don't think you'll go wrong.

Montclair, New...
Level Contributor
346 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Has anyone been to the Garlic Festival?

Thank you both for the info. We went to the festival in the Hudson Valley a few times and really enjoyed it. It was very family oriented and amazing to see all the things they make with garlic! There were lots of other vendors too. It has been several years and since we have family up there now we thought it might be worth combining a visit. I think it may fall on labor day weekend so we would have an extra day to see the area so maybe we will stay in Bennington one night. Thanks again.

Bennington, Vermont
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Has anyone been to the Garlic Festival?

What a GREAT show in 2007! I think it will be hard to beat in 2008 but I look forwardhttp://www.tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i16457-Best_of_Bennington_Vermont.html

to it! Great food, people, vendors, weather and more in a nice location!

BoB.O

NewEngland
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Has anyone been to the Garlic Festival?

Can someone tell me more about the festival, when it is, who organizes it, etc? Thanks!

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Has anyone been to the Garlic Festival?

http://lovegarlic.com/

7. Re: Has anyone been to the Garlic Festival?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:18 am, September 20, 2009