We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Within 50 miles of Wendover

bellingham, WA
Level Contributor
10 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Within 50 miles of Wendover

Allegiance Air is going to start flying between Bellingham WA and Wendover. What is there to do for a person not interested in gambling? We'd love to check out the area.

Mentioned in this post
Bellingham
Bellingham
Washington
Bonneville Salt Flats
Hot Springs & Geysers, Auto Race Tracks
Knolls Recreation Area
Nature & Wildlife Areas
Sun Tunnels
Historic Sites, Points of Interest & Landmarks
5 replies to this topic
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
16,249 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Within 50 miles of Wendover

Start with the airport: http://www.wendoverairbase.com/

Go to the Salt Flats: www.utah.com/playgrounds/bonneville_salt.htm

Check out the Tree of Utah: www.utah.com/amusement/metaphor_tree.htm

Drive the SIlver Mt Loop and stop at Danger Cave: www.publiclands.org/explore/site.php?id=1762

Landscape art : http://ludb.clui.org/ex/i/UT3126/

Head south of Wendover and check out Gold hill, a quasi ghost town that still has residents and mining: http://www.prospector-utah.com/goldhill.htm

Visit Wells. http://www.wellsnevada.com/

Check out the emigrant museum and see things that got left behind.

Or visit the hot springs (note, I can not vouch for this, just know that some friends enjoyed going) rei.com/guidepost/…23595

Drive out to the desert and enjoy solitude- or at least burning heat and a huge sky

Mentioned in this post
Utah
Utah
United States
bellingham, WA
Level Contributor
10 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Within 50 miles of Wendover

Thank you for all your great suggestions. It definitely seems that we would be well-occupied for at least a few days. Now I just have to find out how long Allegiant Air will have these flights. Right now it looks as if they will be once or twice a week until the end of July.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
19,911 posts
428 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Within 50 miles of Wendover

Allegiant (and it's predecessor) have been flying Wendover for years. The airport on its own is a great attraction. Kbecjeans has given you some great ideas. It's a fun place to visit - not just for gambling but tons of interesting places to see. We like to drive out there from Salt Lake area on the old Pony Express Trail. That's probably a bit too aggressive for you, but we love crossing the desert out there.

Have fun.

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Moab
Level Contributor
3,448 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Within 50 miles of Wendover

kbec,

You've got me wishing we had time for another trip out there this year. But no, only 1-1/2 days in SLC this year and we won't be going that far afield.

Like everyone has said the airport is a great place to start. The interpretative signs around the site and the museum evoke some strange emotions.

I was reading about Danger Cave recently, getting excited, then found that it's not that easy to visit.

Bonneville; between now and the end of July doesn't quite make it to SpeedWeek but it's still interesting (for a great big expanse of white) and the only place I've felt comfortable letting the kids have a driving lesson.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
16,249 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Within 50 miles of Wendover

T&C, I love that 129 miles of desert on the Pony Express trail. I wanted to add in Fish Springs NWR, but it was just outside the 50 miles. Hoping the new guy is doing as good a job as Jay did.

Noel, I'm surprised to hear there aren't any wide open spots in Aust you'd feel okay about them behind the wheel. I'm sure you could find somewhere ;-)

Yah, I'm kind of hoping to get out to the sun tunnels for solstice this year. And then look for danger cave and jukebox cave. I'll have to ask my dad if he went out there dancing while stationed at Wendover back in the '40's.

Reply to: Within 50 miles of Wendover
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Wendover