We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dinosaur National Monument Camping

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,193 posts
91 reviews
Save Topic
Dinosaur National Monument Camping

Hi folks,

We're planning a visit for Memorial Day to see the new (or fairly new!) quarry exhibit, do a little rafting and camp. Haven't been there in 17 years and will have kids in tow this time. Want to car camp and will be in tents. Looking at Green River & Echo Park campgrounds. Is the later more scenic, especially without all the RV/trailers? Does Green River have a tents only loop?

Any suggestions on hikes, activities, etc.?

Many thanks in advance.

Bill

13 replies to this topic
Park City, Utah
Level Contributor
323 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Dinosaur National Monument Camping

The 'tree issues' closing some sites at Green River were there when we camped there a year ago in April 2012 so I wouldn't hold out much hope that the affected tree limbs are removed any time soon. Luckily the campground was pretty much empty that early in the season so sites being closed didn't cause a problem for us. We very much enjoyed camping there with the views of Split Mountain and proximity to the river. I hope you have a great trip.

Atascadero...
Destination Expert
for Lake Powell
Level Contributor
1,505 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Dinosaur National Monument Camping

Pixie-- didn't see the warning signs about cougars and bears at the confluence, just generic signs they might be in the area. We did stop at Whispering Cave, which was pretty cool, and slighly ominous because the ranger reported a big Western Diamondback rattler had been spotted there the day before. Alas, no snake when we were there...

Trip was great, thanks for asking...but am currently in Jackson, WY, checking out the Tetons, then onto Yellowstone and Glacier...so the trip's not over yet!

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,193 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Dinosaur National Monument Camping

Thought I would close the loop on this thread. JFR, your summary is excellent (hope you are enjoying the rest of your trip!). Green River Campground is nicely situated with views of Split Mountain and across the river from an active part of the Chew family ranch. The sites are reasonably well spread out. Careful swimming is quite possible, though you need to mind the currents. But half the campground is now closed. The consequence of this is that is has a more intimate, quiet feel to it and you are less likely to be adjacent to a loud RV with generator. Here is the latest from the Monument’s website:

“40 Sites (Please note: Half of the original 81 sites in the campground are currently closed due to a tree assement (sic) that revelaed (sic) the potential for safety issues. We are working to resolve this as soon as possible, but there is a high likelihood that all open sites will be filled on busy days, especially weekends and holidays.)”

From a proximity standpoint to the Quarry (the new building is amazing!), exploring Cub Road and rafting, it is hard to beat.

Echo Park is not proximate to anything. It is a good hour from the visitor center on the Colorado side (driving at high speeds). But it is simply breathtaking. The views in the Park of Steamboat Rock, the confluence of the Green & Yampa, and the towering sandstone walls are amazing. Only tents, well spaced sites and a great vibe. If it weren’t six hours from my house, I’d plan a return soon just to hang out, trail run, hike and chill.

From my perspective, if you are going to camp at DNM, you will probably want to spend a night or two at Green River to take in the sights. But if you have already communed with the fossils from the late Jurassic period, and are looking for a spectacular high desert locale with enormous historical perspective, Echo Park is the place.

Happy camping all. :)

Edited: 12:02 am, May 29, 2013
Reply to: Dinosaur National Monument Camping
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted