We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flaming Gorge area?

Genesee, CO
Level Contributor
646 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Flaming Gorge area?

I am thinking about a road trip from Denver up to Glacier National Park in Montana.

This is what I am thinking:

1) Highway 40 up to Granby-Steamboat Springs-Craig-Dinosaur-Vernal

2) 191 North through Flaming Gorge-Rock Springs-towards Jackson

3) From there thinking of bypassing Grand Tetons/Yellostone (was just there couple summers ago and would rather avoid the crowds and focus on getting up to Glacier) ... so 26 West to Idaho falls?

4) I-15 North to Butte then I-90 West to Missoula

5) 93 north up through Kalispell to West entrance.

Questions: I haven't been to Flaming Gorge since I was a kid and remember it was beautiful, but is it basically drivethrough scenery or is it worth getting out of the car for a few hours and exploring?

If we drove from Denver to Flaming Gorge, and wanted to spend the rest of the afternoon, where is good to stay around there? Does Dutch John actually have anywhere to stay? Or would we have to go farther north to Rock Springs? (Dont' really want to backtrack to Vernal for the night.)

Thanks,

Tanya

Utah
1 post
Save Reply
11. Re: Flaming Gorge area?

Does anyone know where and how to get to the cave near Flaming Gorge?

Maryland
Level Contributor
10 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Flaming Gorge area?

I have another suggestion for the Flaming Gorge area. Last summer my family took a trip where we went from Yellowstone/Grand Teton down to Moab, Arches, and Cayonlands. Along the way we stopped at Vernal to see the Dinosaur NP and to take a "whitewater" trip down the Green River starting from the Flaming Gorge damn. With all the other things we saw on the trip, boating down the Green RIver was a big highlight. The rapids are perfect for families with younger kids and the water is crystal clear and there are so many fish to spot as you travel. You can even stop along the way and jump in the cold water if its a hot day. We just rented a boat from a local outfitter and it worked out great.

Roosevelt, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
1,149 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Flaming Gorge area?

You can end up on I-80 using 191 to Rock Springs or 44/530 to Green River, and the time is about the same either way. I love the views from Sheep Creek bay better but a lot of people prefer seeing the dam.

If you're going to take 189/89 in Wyoming, you can turn west in Manila and head to Fort Bridger; check out the old army fort named after Jim Bridger. Then you can pick up all your fuel/food/supplies in Evanston and skip Rock Springs entirely.

Rafting the Green from the dam to Little Hole takes approx. 3 hrs (or longer if you want to!) and rafts can be rented at various locations near the dam (they have the rafts stacked out front). Summer months are busy but the river isn't difficult -- plus it's great fun!

I don't know about a cave near Flaming Gorge, only Ice Cave up by Paradise Reservoir and Whiterocks cave in Whiterocks canyon (I think it's closed to the public at this time -- too much damage).

the Uintah Mountains are full of caves, especially the ones with gold in them (see "Lost Rhoades Mine" via google). :o)

*Pixie*

Genesee, CO
Level Contributor
646 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Flaming Gorge area?

I am back!!!

Never made it to Glacier last summer (couple of deaths in the family). But am going to Oregon next summer and still planning a route through flaming gorge.

Have mapquested time to Dutch John and it is about 6.5 hours from here. Plan to leave at about 6 am so would get there about 12:30-1:00 PM. Question?

Let's say we stop at the dam first, then go back around on the west side on 44 over to Manila, then take route 414 up to 80 and stay at Evanston, Wy. How long do you estimate?

(Just driving time)

Mapquest says 3 hours? Is this accurate?

Roosevelt, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
1,149 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Flaming Gorge area?

From the dam to Manila is about an hour (maybe less) but you'll want to stop and take in the views so I'd say 1 1/2-2 hrs. planning for stops.

From Manila to Evanston would be 2 hours.

so the entire tripn from the dam to Evanston would be 3 hrs, not counting scenic stops.

*Pixie*

Genesee, CO
Level Contributor
646 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Flaming Gorge area?

Thanks much! Yes, I do want to do some stops, but wanted to make sure the actual driving time was accurate.

17. Re: Flaming Gorge area?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:21 am, September 17, 2009