I am thinking about a road trip from Denver up to Glacier National Park in Montana.
This is what I am thinking:
1) Highway 40 up to Granby-Steamboat Springs-Craig-Dinosaur-Vernal
2) 191 North through Flaming Gorge-Rock Springs-towards Jackson
3) From there thinking of bypassing Grand Tetons/Yellostone (was just there couple summers ago and would rather avoid the crowds and focus on getting up to Glacier) ... so 26 West to Idaho falls?
4) I-15 North to Butte then I-90 West to Missoula
5) 93 north up through Kalispell to West entrance.
Questions: I haven't been to Flaming Gorge since I was a kid and remember it was beautiful, but is it basically drivethrough scenery or is it worth getting out of the car for a few hours and exploring?
If we drove from Denver to Flaming Gorge, and wanted to spend the rest of the afternoon, where is good to stay around there? Does Dutch John actually have anywhere to stay? Or would we have to go farther north to Rock Springs? (Dont' really want to backtrack to Vernal for the night.)