We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which is better for us?

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
278 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Which is better for us?

I am staying in PC. I had planned to ski the big 3 over there, until I expressed a desire to ski bowls on the PC forum. I was talked into either Snowbird or Alta. We are skiing 3 days. We plan to ski Canyons and DV the other 2 days.

What would be a better bowl skiing experience for a 46 YO guy and his son? Alta or Snowbird? I don't want bowls that are TOO difficult (although I am an expert skier, I am getting old!), but I want to experience the wide open powder =)

New Hartford...
Level Contributor
329 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which is better for us?

Just returned from a trip to Snowbird / Alta. Snowbird had more bowl skiing. Mineral Basin is wide open with steeps, bumps or groomers.

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
278 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which is better for us?

Thanks! Now do you mean just more bowl terrain in general, or more bowl terrain was open and/or accessible? Mineral Basin looks awesome, BTW.

New Hartford...
Level Contributor
329 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which is better for us?

I think there's more bowl terrain at Snowbird in general. From the top of the Mineral Basin chair, you'll have a few options for skiing wide open areas. Alta is connected by a tunnel. You can ski there for a couple of hours if you're curious. We did prefer Snowbird, however.

Everything was open when we were there. We arrived at the tail end of a 4 day/70" snowfall. ;- )

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
278 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which is better for us?

Awesome. Well maybe we do go to Snowbird instead of Alta. I know you can get a 2 mountain pass, too. Looks like they are going to get dumed on again this weekend.

So, we are from New England and the closest we have come to bowl skiing is the top of Sugarloaf. We were in CO in December (first time skiing out west) and were just drooling over the bowls at Keystone and Breckenridge. Of course, none of that terrain was open yet. Ever since we have been dying to drop into some big bowls, hopefuly with some powder!

We are staying in PC, and several people advised us to go to Snowbird/Alta for real big bowl skiing. We are skiing Canyons and Deer Valley the other 2 days.

New Hartford...
Level Contributor
329 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which is better for us?

Have a great trip!. Snowbird is a skiers' mountain. It's vastly different from Park City.

Scranton, Pa
Level Contributor
44 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which is better for us?

Snowbird has bowls while Alta has teacups.

Here a wiki on snowbird.

http://www.epicski.com/products/snowbird#wiki

7. Re: Which is better for us?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, September 11, 2010