We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

stay in Sandy?

MT
Level Contributor
266 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
stay in Sandy?

Never been to Snowbird before, and wondering is it really inconvenient to stay in Sandy and drive? How long of a drive, and is Sandy an OK town? (Traveling with a 5 year old)

Thanks

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,594 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: stay in Sandy?

There are alot more reasonable hotel options in Sandy than there are up the canyon, though of course you have the drive. It is not a bad drive, pretty much a straight shot up 94th, 1/2 hr maybe.

In the past the snow bus has stops near SouthTowne, which makes driving the canyon easier, and no worries about parking, but from reports it can get crowded.

Sandy is a nice town, a busy suburb with a good selection of restaurants and shopping. No really bad areas to worry about.

Just went over the Beartooth hwy on Saturday. We had a great time.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
401 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: stay in Sandy?

I concur with beans. The only downside of staying in the valley is that if a big storm hits they will close the canyon to traffic for a few hours to clean the roads. So if you're in the valley then you may miss a few hours of skiing while the roads are cleared. Otherwise, the valley is a great option. Much more affordable and better selection.

Texas
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: stay in Sandy?

The more options and cheaper in the valley are true but travelling with a five year old puts a different wrinkle on that - our kids are very tired after skiing and the hassle of getting them in and out of the car on the time has deterred us from that six years in a row... It's hard to put a dollar cost on that hassle, but don't forget it.

MT
Level Contributor
266 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: stay in Sandy?

Thanks for the great tips, and fast replies. So, one more question, which is the better ski area Alta or Snowbird, or are both equally good?

I bet the Beartooth Hwy was beautiful, the weather has been gorgeous!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,594 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: stay in Sandy?

I don't ski, so can't comment with reliability on terrain or snow, though I think even as close as they are Alta gets more snow. Alta at the moment is still ski only, no snowboards allowed. If you are going for a few days there is a combined pass which would allow you to ski both.

washington dc
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: stay in Sandy?

we (a group of young 30's serious skiers) stayed in sandy last year early season. it was a great affordable option for us, but we've found this year the deals at the resort make it only slightly more to stay up on the mountain (in early season.) we stayed in the extended stay and it was fine, and the kitchenette was a nice addition for quick sandwiches. we'd wake up early hit the starbucks next door and make the 30 min drive up the canyon. If i had my 3 year old niece with me i might try for the snowbird inn which also has a kitchenette, and isn't too much more depending on if you are going high or low season and when you factor in the lift tickets, but if it's more than $200-300 difference i'd save the money and stay in sandy. as far as alta vs. snowbird, i recommend the superpass so you can go back and forth, that way you can go where conditions are best. alta generally has better snow and is more old school and low key-no snowboarders there and the lifts are nothing fancy so you feel more like you are in a plain old ski area with great quality terrain. snowbird is fancier with faster lifts and a tram but seemed to me to have steeper terrain and a younger and maybe more aggressive crowd. we love it there (both places) but it's very diff't from park city-it is for skiing and beautfiul scenery and not for nightlife/shopping.

7. Re: stay in Sandy?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, April 14, 2010