We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

apartment hotels

sheffield england
Level Contributor
697 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
apartment hotels

I am seeking some help to find an apartment type hotel in or around st george. we will be travelling through zion national park and would like some, reasonably priced accommodation in this area. as four adults travelling together we are looking to keep costs in control and find that hotel rooms with either two bedrooms and a kitchenette/living area, or one bedroom with living area/pull out sofa bed/kitchenette. i am searching suite hotels but these don't seem to be quite what i was expecting in that they are primarily one bedroom and one living room. or in fact, some hotels which call themselves suite hotels are one bedroom with two double beds. we live the flexibility having our own kitchen gives us but find these places in short supply. does anyone have experience of a place in this area that would provide what we are looking for. it may be that this type of place is called something different from what i think it is.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
28,559 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: apartment hotels

When were you planning this visit for?

If you are mostly planning on visiting Zion National Park area While I like St George, and theres lots to do in that area, its about a 1 hour drive from Zion.

You may want to look at something in Springdale which is right at the entrance to Zion basically. You could try the Cable Mountain Lodge there which has larger suites, or more basic, the Pioneer Lodge.

cablemountainlodge.com/accommodations.html

http://www.pioneerlodge.com/rooms.php

Just so your aware, you would want a queen sized bed for two adults. Double beds are smaller and will not fit 2 adults comfortably Imo.

Edited: 3:39 pm, January 23, 2013
Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,856 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: apartment hotels

Like Happy said, St George is about an hour from Zion.

If you don't mind commuting two hours a day maybe look at the Marriott Towne Place Suites. Its an extended stay place.

If you want to be right near the park, look into the previously mentioned Cable Mountain. Desert Pearl also has kitchens in their rooms.

You could also look into renting a cabin at Zion Ponderosa Ranch. There are a few good sized rentals up there.

Edited: 4:00 pm, January 23, 2013
Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,856 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: apartment hotels

zionponderosa.com/mountain-vacation-homes.ht…

sheffield england
Level Contributor
697 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: apartment hotels

thanks for the suggestions, i will take a look at these. in fact, we are really only passing through zion, as we are going from monument valley to san francisco. not the most direct route i know, but as we do have a few days, thought it would be a lovely drive and a chance to at least take a look at somewhere we have not been before. unfortunately we are a bit limited for time generally, and a lot we want to see. as 'old gits' we never know when, or if we will be back. we have looked at the desert pearl, unfortunately it is booked up. we are going to be there on saturday 19th october and this appears to be a very busy time, quite a few of the places we like the look of are booked. hence why we chose st george, it is an hour from zion certainly but an hour nearer the route we are taking to san francisco. as we are only there the one night, will be arriving probably after it has gone dark, and will be leaving first thing next morning, we don't really need all the bells and whistles. we are quite happy to sleep in a double bed, this is the most common type of bed for two here in the uk so we can manage, queen is obviously better if we can get it but not essential. the reason we prefer a two bedroom suite is for the advantage of kitchenette so we can do a little self catering en route to save some time (and money). we always come from the uk prepared with some tins of stuff, again to save time shopping if we have a late arrival and early departure. i wonder if it would be better just to leave it and pull up at a motel on the way, it was making me a little worried about availability, we have booked some accommodation already and it seems as though there is not a lot of it.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
28,559 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: apartment hotels

Oct is a popular time for a visit, as the weather is usually very mild that time of year.

Try contacting where you want to stay directly, many times they will show they are booked online, but not when you call them directly. Or, just be persistant. Reservations near Zion are cancelled all of the time, so, just spending a little time phoning direct for a few weeks will likely get you in.

If you decide to stay in St George.....

I would not suggest looking at random last minute upon arrival in St George for a place in Oct, its a quite busy time for St George also with alot going on. What dates in Oct were you looking at? And, Do you have a budget per night you would like to stay within for a Hotel?

I think the word you are looking for is Extended stay Hotels.....

The Courtyard by Marriott.... may be what your looking for as they offer 2 room suites and are up on a little hill, but still close driving distance to restaurants. They offer a Free full Hot Breakfast. They are better rated than the Towne Place Suites, but both would be fine to stay at Imo.

marriott.com/hotels/…

The TownePlace Suites ........( which is right nearby the Courtyard by Marriott) by Marriott ) ....is a very nice place to stay, up on a small hill overlooking the valley, kind of by itself, but close driving distance to alot of restaurants on S. River Road. They offer free Continental Breakfast which is more of a limited breakfast. They have a 2 bedrooms suite with full kitchens. They also have a room with Queen bed and pull out sofa.

Heres the guest room floor plans.

marriott.com/hotelwebsites/us/s/sguts/sguts_…

marriott.com/hotels/…

Edited: 11:38 am, January 24, 2013
sheffield england
Level Contributor
697 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: apartment hotels

thank you - extended stay - will remember to put that into searches in future. did come across - more by accident than design - one that looked exactly what we were looking for - Coronada inn and suites - but the reviews on here looked pretty bad so may probably discount this one. will look at the marriot and towneplace shortly. from searches we have done in this part of the world generally, accommodation seems to be quite expensive for something nice. seemingly gone are the days when you could pull up at a selection of motels which were all fit to stay in. then again - it is twenty years or more since we did this trip and things obviously change. we will take the advice offered and try to make some advance arrangements for this area, as we have done for several other areas we plan to visit.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
28,559 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: apartment hotels

Happy to help you find somewhere to stay in St George, if either one of the Hotels I mentioned are not within your budget. If you can add a budget per night you are willing to spend, along with your dates as that may make a difference pricewise depending on what is going on.

I would not suggest staying at the Coronada Inn.

sheffield england
Level Contributor
697 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: apartment hotels

no - given the awful reviews, we have totally discounted the coronada. we have looked at a motel called the chalet motel st george, they don't do the two bedroom suite type rooms but do little kitchenettes attached to either a single, or double, or even triple bedroom. the rates are extremely reasonable, enough not to need to share a room anyway. the reviews on here are good also. our budget is flexible, but we would prefer not to spend more than about $180 for the four of us. this is not easy in the national park areas as i am finding out.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
28,559 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: apartment hotels

Its likely more expensive because Oct is a popular time to visit. What dates were you thinking of in Oct?

The St George Marthon is the weekend of Oct 4-6 for 2013 and is a large event that will book up all of the hotels in St George.

The Huntsman World Senior Games is also held in St George and is busy then too Oct 8-20 for 2013.

stgeorgechamber.com/visit-here/…

If your dates are anywhere during the busy events period, I would suggest you book something with a cancelable reservation ASAP.

Try the Best Western Travel Inn..... its well rated enough, and a small standard Motel with a small fridge and microwave in the room, and should be within your budget for 2 separate rooms. They also offer a good AAA discount if you have some form of AAA where you live. They are centrally located on the Main street of St George, near places to eat ect.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g57119-d72973-R…

Salt Lake City, UT
Level Contributor
908 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: apartment hotels

Rather than an "apartment hotel", have you tried looking for a condo or house rental through vrbo or homeaway? I've had great success with both of those sites, and generally find I get far more value for more lodging dollar, assuming I'm self-catering, and assuming a stay of at least a few nights.

Another busy weekend to be aware is "UEA Weekend", when most Utah elementary and secondary schools are a long weekend. Thus, those of us with school age children are apt to travel. The dates in question for 2013 will be Oct 17-20.