We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel Advisory RE: Virgin River Gorge roadwork

Evanston, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Page, Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
5,565 posts
158 reviews
110 helpful votes
Travel Advisory RE: Virgin River Gorge roadwork

From the St. George News 03/11/19:

The Arizona Department of Transportation announced Monday that motorists should be prepared for around-the-clock restrictions and intermittent delays on Interstate 15 through the Virgin River Gorge beginning in early April and continuing through spring 2020.

During the first phases of the construction, northbound and southbound I-15 will be narrowed to one lane between mileposts 13 and 16, which will cause delays, especially during high-traffic times.

In addition, because of the terrain within the gorge and the narrow width of I-15, crews must reduce the width of travel lanes to 10 feet during construction. This will make I-15 impassible in the 3-mile work zone for vehicles wider than 10 feet. Crews will also move traffic over to one side of the highway while working on the other, providing one travel lane in each direction.

All loads wider than 10 feet must use a 224-mile detour route as crews repair three bridge decks along the narrow highway in northwestern Arizona. Other drivers should plan for delays and allow extra travel time while a section of I-15 is narrowed to one lane in each direction.

Wide-load detour: Signs will direct wide-load traffic to the detour route of US 93, Nevada state Route 319 and Utah state Route 56 between Las Vegas, Nevada, and Cedar City, Utah (see map on website https:/….XIbceSJKiM8 ).

Alternate route: Those seeking an alternate route to avoid traffic can take Highway 91, which can save travel time and reduce congestion in the Virgin River Gorge.

The highway bypasses the gorge entirely, intersecting with I-15 at Exit 8 in Littlefield, Arizona, to the south and connecting to St. George at the north via Santa Clara and Sunset Boulevard.

ADOT is advising motorists to slow down and use caution around construction personnel and equipment. Drivers should also prepare to merge into the other lane.

The $6.4 million project will rehabilitate three bridge decks on I-15. Work is scheduled to begin in April and last at least one year. For more information, please visit the project website. https://www.azdot.gov/projects/northcentral-…

20 replies to this topic
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City, Lake Powell
Level Contributor
23,962 posts
43 reviews
11 helpful votes
1. Re: Travel Advisory RE: Virgin River Gorge roadwork

Oh, goody. More frustration for folks trying to get to and from Zion.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
375 posts
17 reviews
19 helpful votes
2. Re: Travel Advisory RE: Virgin River Gorge roadwork

I think I will pass this way when driving from Zion to Vegas right? I am trying to stay positive.

Edited: 8:24 pm, March 11, 2019
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City, Lake Powell
Level Contributor
23,962 posts
43 reviews
11 helpful votes
3. Re: Travel Advisory RE: Virgin River Gorge roadwork

Cecilia - yes you will drive the Virgin River Gorge on I 15 between Vegas and Zion. With only one lane for three miles at 45 miles an hour or so, it will add at least a half hour to your drive time. Maybe more.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
3,148 posts
8 reviews
4 helpful votes
4. Re: Travel Advisory RE: Virgin River Gorge roadwork

Whoa!!

Just did my trip planning / purchase for a return mini trip to Zion and Tuacahn Amphitheater (going to see Disney's The Little Mermaid) this May. Decided to use St. George Airport (SGU) as our arrival and departure airport instead of LAS - good decision. Will remember to eat before arriving at the SGU Airport for departure home.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
375 posts
17 reviews
19 helpful votes
5. Re: Travel Advisory RE: Virgin River Gorge roadwork

Thanks Connie. I will pray for the best and prepare for the worst :)

Edited: 8:50 pm, March 11, 2019
Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
31,877 posts
94 reviews
79 helpful votes
6. Re: Travel Advisory RE: Virgin River Gorge roadwork

Its very easy to avoid going through the Gorge, and its quite scenic for parts if you just take th Beaver Dam exit for the old Highway 91 which winds through Ivins and St George. It only adds about 15 min to that drive, so not bad at all. Just avoid the Gorge, it can get very backed up when they are working on those bridges. I once got stuck for almost 2 hours just trying to get through.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
19,993 posts
16 reviews
52 helpful votes
7. Re: Travel Advisory RE: Virgin River Gorge roadwork

Speaking of the St George Airport, this may effect some summer visitors.

https:/….XIdXKSJKiM8

North Carolina
Level Contributor
3,148 posts
8 reviews
4 helpful votes
8. Re: Travel Advisory RE: Virgin River Gorge roadwork

Dez40,

Whoa again!

We just make our travel to the area completed before the closure. Summer travel in the area will be a challenge. Perhaps they will open up a restaurant in the airport while resurfacing the runway🙂🍔🍟🍱🥗

Toquerville UT
Level Contributor
1,252 posts
80 reviews
62 helpful votes
9. Re: Travel Advisory RE: Virgin River Gorge roadwork

That is going to be ugly! I highly recommend taking Old Rt 91, as suggested, it's a bit longer but you should be moving!

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
19,993 posts
16 reviews
52 helpful votes
10. Re: Travel Advisory RE: Virgin River Gorge roadwork

If you have a vehicle with some clearance there is also a nice scenic byway route that basically parallels hwy 91 called the Joshua Tree Byway.

Nice long distance views, and you can see some of the only Joshua Trees in Utah.

https:/…

Reply to: Travel Advisory RE: Virgin River Gorge roadwork
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted