We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

xmas in SLC, first time seeing snow, 3 days only, help!

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
xmas in SLC, first time seeing snow, 3 days only, help!

Hi,

Apologies if this has been written before, I am on a bit of a time restraint. We are two Aussies living in Mexico City for the past 10 months who have never seen snow before and are about to move home for good in Jan so we decided to book a quick trip to experience our very first 'white Christmas'. I chose Salt Lake City (over denver) as it was a reasonable direct flight and there is an NBA game on 26th Dec there too (for hubby) so we thought we would fly in the evening of the 24th Dec 2015 stay somewhere that has snow and christmas lights and amazing atmosphere.....for 2 nights then stay downtown SLC for the game on the 26th and fly back to Mexico early on 27th.

Alot of places are booked which I expected but I would just like to know if Park City is the best place for us to go for what we want? or any other recommendations.....also if PC, is the canyon area, base or main street, or deer valley best? we wont be driving so would like easy access, have never been skiing before either so probably looking to just do some tubing, dog sledding etc not really skiing. We are willing to spend extra to stay at Chateaux Deer Valley or Hotel Park City if you think it is worth it, or are some of the cheaper hotels just as good....we do really want a fire in the room to fully embrace the cold christmas!

Any info would be much appreciated.

Thankyou

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City, Lake Powell
Level Contributor
20,772 posts
41 reviews
1. Re: xmas in SLC, first time seeing snow, 3 days only, help!

Park City has an efficient free bus system that circulates through the town, up to all the ski resorts and out to the outlet malls. Hotel Park City is well located for the bus system.

There is a tubing hill near Kimball Junction about 6 miles from Park City proper. I'm not sure if the bus goes that far. I don't know about dog sledding activities.

Just so you know, you will see snow in Salt Lake City. We had a big snowstorm yesterday...up to 12" in places. There is more snow in the forecast this weekend. For your SLC stay, get a hotel downtown. You'll be within walking distance of basketball arena for the game. The downtown area is quite festive during the Christmas season. One of the best Christmas light displays in the country is located on Temple Square in downtown SLC.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
21,074 posts
451 reviews
2. Re: xmas in SLC, first time seeing snow, 3 days only, help!

Obviously this close to the holiday you'll need to take what you can get. But given your interests, here's a few ideas. Hotel Park City is very nice. But the location, while on the bus route, is somewhat uninteresting. The hotel is extremely nice situated on a golf course coming into town. There are a few restaurants in walking distance and a nice steak house in the hotel.

The Chateaux would be a nice option in Silver Lake Village at Deer Valley. Very festive area. It's remote from downtown but frequent bus. Goldener Hirsch is another option across the street, as is Stein Eriksen Lodge.

If you can stay on Main Street, that would give you the absolute best experience. Look at Marriott Summit Watch, Caledonian, Sky or Treasure Mountain Inn. For what you're seeking, I would not stay at Park City or Canyons base areas.

In downtown Salt Lake, Monaco is a very nice option in the heart of downtown. You can walk to the arena or take light rail.

Have fun.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
5,218 posts
33 reviews
3. Re: xmas in SLC, first time seeing snow, 3 days only, help!

Staying in PC will depend on if you would like to be in a more secluded mountain area or within walking distance of the restaurants and galleries of Main Street. The Chateaux Deer Valley is very nice, but also a ways from Main Street. There isn't a ton to do in the immediate vicinity if you are not skiing. If you just wanted something cozy, with a wintry setting, then Chateau would be a great option.

If you stay near Main, you could head up to the Silver Lake area for lunch or dinner and it would be sufficient. You could likely book excursions for sleigh rides or take Uber to Gorgoza Park for tubing.

Hotel Monaco in SLC is a perfect option. Within walking distance of bars and restaurants in downtown. Easy to board Trax to the Utah Jazz game, across the street from Gallivan Center for ice skating, and just a block or two away from the lights at Temple Square.

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: xmas in SLC, first time seeing snow, 3 days only, help!

Thank you all so much! Super helpful info and I am so excited to hear there should be snow in SLC as well! I can't wait!

Thanks again, much appreciated.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,772 posts
41 reviews
5. Re: xmas in SLC, first time seeing snow, 3 days only, help!

There will definitely be snow. We have 8 to 10 inches on the ground and it's not melting any time soon. More snow in forecast tonight.

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
6. Re: xmas in SLC, first time seeing snow, 3 days only, help!

ok, one more question...........clothing......can you rent the shoes you need for the snow? My friend is lending me a northface snow jacket, but hubby will just have a normal thick wooly inside type jacket.....basically can we rent the stuff we need just for walking around? (excuse my ignorance I haven't ever been in weather like this!)

Edited: 7:53 pm, December 17, 2015
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,772 posts
41 reviews
7. Re: xmas in SLC, first time seeing snow, 3 days only, help!

Your husband might be cold unless he has at least a thermal layer and maybe a light fleece. In fact, you may want a light thermal layer as well.

Since you are not used to cold weather, you will both want hats that cover your ears, gloves (fleece or something similar) and maybe a muffler (scarf) for around your neck. As far as footwear, you want something that completely covers your foot, is water resistant and has a good tread. If you have good athletic shoes, they would probably work unless you are walking in snow. You don't want wet feet. I'm not sure if this kind of footwear can be rented from local ski shops. However, there is a Walmart (discount department/variety store) as you exit the freeway in Park City.

It may not snow while you are here, but there is snow on the ground in SLC and Park City. Sometimes, just walking about means navigating small mounds of snow or walking on icy sidewalks. You want good footwear.

Also, bring or buy sunglasses. You may not think you'd need something like this in winter. But on a sunny day with snow on the ground, it is quite bright and glaring.

Level Contributor
20 posts
3 reviews
8. Re: xmas in SLC, first time seeing snow, 3 days only, help!

Hi there, sorry for the late reply but i was wondering as you have no doubt visited the snow and returned home (we are Aussies too) can i ask what if any lessons you learned from your trip? There are quite a lot of similarities for me as i am planning a christmas stay over in either SLC or PC this year and am trying to decide what is best. While we have seen snow we certainly aren't used to it and are looking forward to more experiences while we visit.

How did it go? Anything you would change?

Thank you

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
9. Re: xmas in SLC, first time seeing snow, 3 days only, help!

Hi Jodie M, I have only just logged back into trip advisor and seen this post of yours! I am so sorry! Your trip will already be booked and you may already be on your way but the main piece of advise was west the proper insulated warm footwear! Walmart was closed Xmas day so we weren't able to buy any and in normal boots my feet froze! But if you have been in the snow you probably know this! Other than that we had an absolute amazing time, the snow was plentiful and absolutely stunning and getting around town on the town shuttle or uber was a breeze! The clothes we took did the job for 3 days though I imagine having thermals and proper jacket for my hubby would have made the trip a little more comfortable. But all in all we had a ball and the excitement of such stunning landscapes and Xmas lights overcame any 'cold' issues we had! I will be planning a longer stay in the snow for another white Christmas one year that's for sure!

10. Re: xmas in SLC, first time seeing snow, 3 days only, help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, December 04, 2017