We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

las vegas to Henefer (SLC area) in winter

usa
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Topic
las vegas to Henefer (SLC area) in winter

Hi. We have a time share reserved in Henefer from 1/19-1/26. However, the flights are very expensive to SLC from NYC area that time, so we were looking at flying into another city (possibly las vegas) within a 6 hour drive time on 1/17, spending a day or two there and driving.

We are travelling with 2 kids, ages 13 and 15.

Is this realistic in the winter and are any of the Nat. Parks along the way (Bryce, Zion) accessible in winter?

Any and all suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,

Cheryl

Salt Lake City, UT
Level Contributor
908 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: las vegas to Henefer (SLC area) in winter

Unless you really want to visit the national parks (and this, while a diversion from your route, is certainly a worthwhile goal), it's hard to imagine you'd save enough money by flying to Vegas to make up for the hastle of 12+ hours of additional driving, with potential delays due to winter weather.

I just did a quick check, out of curiosity, and found tix for $249/RT pp on JetBlue JFK to SLC 1/19-1/26. That's hardly "very expensive". I even checked Orbitz and found multiple possibilities on different airlines, from both LGA and JFK for under $300/rt. Don't think you'll find it much cheaper than that into any other airport in the region.

Las Vegas
Level Contributor
127 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: las vegas to Henefer (SLC area) in winter

The drive from Las Vegas to SLC is pretty easy, even in winter, and even in the snow (which you may find anywhere from Cedar City north). However, doing it in under 6 hours would be pushing it, even on a clear day. You can pretty much put your cruise control on as you get on I-15 in Las Vegas, and leave it on until you get to about Provo, where traffic slows down considerably.

The drive through the Virgin River Gorge as you go through the NW corner of Arizona is spectacular. There is a sort of back door road into Zion near Kanarraville. The road is only a few miles long before it dead-ends, but it takes you to some very scenic views, and is right off the freeway. The main part of Zion is accessible, but a bit of a detour; Bryce is quite a detour, and requires passing through some higher elevations that will probably have snow issues in January. You might try Red Rock Canyon or Valley of Fire parks, both near Las Vegas, or Snow Canyon State Park outside of St. George, instead.

Park City, UT
Level Contributor
355 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: las vegas to Henefer (SLC area) in winter

I think you should keep checking airfares as they change a lot. Those dates are during Sundance Film Festival, so there may be more demand than usual until everyone finalizes their plans.

I just looked on kayak.com and AA has $230 fares and Delta has $250 non-stop fares.

That's down from fares two or three weeks ago.

4. Re: las vegas to Henefer (SLC area) in winter

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:20 am, August 18, 2009