We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First timers...

St. Augustine...
Destination Expert
for Jacksonville, Saint Augustine Beach
Level Contributor
1,176 posts
356 reviews
Save Topic
First timers...

We will be in Park City from December 20-25th and have rented a house there for our first trip. What are the must do things there? I have read so much about the skiing...I, my sister, and soon to be new step-mother are non-skiers. We will also have two 2 yr olds with us. The men and older child will be skiing all day so what can we do to enjoy the trip as much as they will? Our father is getting married while we are in town so any suggestions on that would also be great. They will be getting married at the house we have rented and need suggestions on catering if possible. Most importantly what can three grown women and two 2 yr olds do all day? Thank you for any and all comments to this post!!

park city, utah
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: First timers...

i enjoy 'done to your taste' catering, they have always done a great job for us, plus also give back to the community. There is a great museum here, you might also want to go tubing which is way fun, there is shopping galore if you like that. main street is a great place to explore and if you still want to work out but not ski, the racket club encourages drop ins. must things to do,....go to morning ray cafe, tour main street, tour old town, get out into the surrounding areas, Coalville is a funcky little town.

Main Line...
Level Contributor
87 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First timers...

I agree with the Park City native that there is plenty to do in town. Thinking specifically about the 2 year olds, you might want to check out Silver Mountain Spa, where they have a large indoor swimming pool available for a daily fee. There is also a drop in day care facility on Main Street that you might want to check out for a few hours of "girl time" without the children. Here's their website: http://www.parkcityclubhouse.com/

There is a train excursion out of Heber (about a 20 minute drive from PC). The children might enjoy that. There is a train 'n tube excursion to Soldier Hollow that's fun. www.hebervalleyrr.org

You might also think about a horse-drawn sleigh ride. There are numerous options in the Park City area. We like one that operates outside of PC, but will pick you up in town and drive you to their ranch. www.rockymtnoutfitters.com The children are free!

There is a zoo in Salt Lake City, on the near side to Park City. The children might enjoy a visit there. www.hoglezoo.org

You can also take the children on a gondola ride at the Canyons without skiing. If the rest of your party is skiing there for the day, you could all meet up for lunch at the restaurant at the top of the gondola. Check out info at the Canyons website: www.thecanyons.com

Hope that helps! Have a great trip.

Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
1,190 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First timers...

For catering - contact Ed or Debbie Axtell at Cafe Terigo (Teh REE go) They've owned Cafe Terigo for about 20 years but prior to that Debbie did catering and I think they still do it. Food to die for.

With the two year olds, you can take the free shuttle bus from Main St. out to Ecker Hill Middle School near the junction of I-80 (it will take you about 25 min. by shuttle, much more quickly by car). Attached to the school is the Park City Aquatic Center. School will obviously be closed for the holiday, but the Aquatic Center remains open and has excellent facilities. If you have a car, get a local map (available at any hotel or from the tourist info center) and look for the Tanger Outlet Mall. The road it's on is the road to the school (Kilby Rd.). Behind the school is a good hill that you could sled on (and you can get cheap sleds at WalMart - again, just off Kilby Rd. near the Outlet Mall). Or, if you prefer, you can go to Gorgoza, which is a commercial sledding facility which is also near the interstate and a short drive west of the school.

There are also movie theaters at the Redstone Center (you'll see Redstone as you come into town) and more movie theaters in town at the Holliday Village Center. They often have family friendly films if the kids are ready to see a movie (mine couldn't sit still that long until they were three).

If you have a car, and are interested in more ideas in Salt Lake, reply to this post. Salt Lake is an easy drive (given decent weather) on interstate highway. Salt Lake is not a difficult town to drive in and has a lot of family friendly activities.

I also agree that the Heber Creeper (train) is fun and during the Christmas season they offer a Polar Express ride with hot chocolate, Christmas stories, and Santa. You need to call very soon for those reservations.

St. Augustine...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,176 posts
356 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First timers...

Thank you so much for all your comments. I will be definetely making the reservations for the train and searching online for all the other activities. We are renting two cars so that the skiers can ski and we can find our own adventures. I think the other adults have plans on going to the olympic park while we are in town also!! Thank you all for your suggestions I can't wait to start searching for all of them.

St. Augustine...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,176 posts
356 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First timers...

Just wanted to give everyone an update! Sorry it took so long.

We flew from Nashville to Denver on the 20th and that is as far as we got that day. We were lucky enough to be on the last plane to land before they shut down the airport. We rented an suv from hertz and after about 2 hours got the car and decided to try and drive. We spent about 2+ more hours and got about 10 minutes from the airport so we checked into a hotel and made our plans to head out the next morning.

We got up early cleaned off the car and headed out: 4 adults, a 10 yr old and two 2 year olds....12 suitcases and a expedition....what an adventure. They shut down the interstates so thank goodness for GPS we found a backroad route and headed through boulder, and some other towns in colorado, through wyoming (with no cell phone coverage), and arrived in Park City 12 hours later. We had a blast and what a beautiful drive...unfortunately only surviving on gas station food but that almost made the trip perfect b/c we felt like we were roughing it haha.

Our dad, his wife to be and her son had been at the house for almost 2 full days and greeted us with a huge pot of beef stew and a couple of drinks to unwind.

The next morning the guys and our 10 yr old daughter headed out to rent ski equipment and got private lessons for a half day. They loved it.

We spent most of our days shopping downtown (there is just so much to see down there) and relaxing while everyone else skied and had a blast.

We ate dinner at the Seafood Buffett at Deer Valley best by far of anything.

Because our days were off by almost 2 complete days we didn't get to do as much as we would have liked (tubing, train rides etc) but we are already planning our trip back for next year and we will be taking a direct non stop flight in this time to guarantee arrival...I hope.

austin, tx
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: First timers...

My wife has a health issue and we need a reasonably priced condo in the coolest temperature (in the summer) we can find. So I have hhoned in on Park City for the cool summer temperature We will have a future need to be there from mid-May through October only (i.e., in non-ski season). Can anyone help answer these questions, please, about Park City?

1. Does the Aquatic Center have lap lanes for serious swimmers that are open to the public?

2. What is the difference between "downtown" Park City and "old town"? Are they the same?

3. Is the summer temperature going to be very different between the lower and higher elevations in and around Park City?

4. Which areas in or around Park City are the coolest (temperature-wise) during the summer, but at the same time close to the bus route?

5. Do you know of someone who has a condo who might want to rent their condo to us for mid-May through October on a long term basis at a non-ski resort area rate in trade for a long term rental commitment?

park city, utah
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: First timers...

how great

park city, utah
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: First timers...

The racquet club has a lap pool that is opened from late may to late october, it is a regualr lap pool, and you can swim laps in it, approx olympicb size, check the web site www.parkcity.org. park city is little so main st is really just old town stretches for about three blocks in each direction, look at mapquest, about ten blocks you get out on to bonanza blvd and kearns, it's still pc but more in the burbs. you get out to kimball junction and it is mall land

park city, utah
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: First timers...

The racquet club has a lap pool that is opened from late may to late october, it is a regular lap pool, and you can swim laps in it, approx olympic size, check the web site www.parkcity.org. park city is little so main st is really just old town stretches for about three blocks in each direction, look at mapquest, about ten blocks you get out on to bonanza blvd and kearns, it's still pc but more in the burbs. you get out to kimball junction and it is mall land

austin, tx
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: First timers...

Thanks for your help.