We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

It's time again - Annual Rental Scam Article in Local Paper

Park City, Utah
Level Contributor
90 posts
1 review
Save Topic
It's time again - Annual Rental Scam Article in Local Paper

parkrecord.com/park_city-news/ci_24803950/pa…

For all those asking if Craigslist / Classified properties are ever a good idea - read the above article.

every. single. year. people get ripped off. That is why I recommend only using established and official rental companies.

Little Rock
Level Contributor
2,796 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: It's time again - Annual Rental Scam Article in Local Paper

Bump

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
1,675 posts
1,070 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: It's time again - Annual Rental Scam Article in Local Paper

I agree with the article, but how does one from anther location, unfamiliar with Park City verify a listing? I've been posting about 2 companies and I am trying to verify and no one who actually has used them has responded so far.

Park City, Utah
Level Contributor
150 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: It's time again - Annual Rental Scam Article in Local Paper

Reviews posted to VRBO.com should give you some indication, also put the stay on your credit card which offers protection, and while you can use the big guys, note that even small guys (e.g., individual owners) need to be licensed if offering lodging. In terms of checking out their license note that while Park City Municipality (which governs the areas including Old Town, Park City Mountain Resort, Prospector, etc.) doesn't post business license information online you can certainly ask for copy of their business license, meanwhile parties offering lodging in areas such as Canyons and Kimball Junction must be licensed with Summit County and they post business license information online (see http://www.summitcounty.org/business/). FYI -- note that the party must be licensed in the location for which the property is located (i.e., don't let them tell you they are not licensed in Summit County because they are in New York, if the property is in Summit County they have to be licensed in Summit County).

4. Re: It's time again - Annual Rental Scam Article in Local Paper

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, February 27, 2015