We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rain plans?

Which Park City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Rain plans?

Hi everyone. We are flying into Park City on Saturday and it looks as though there is a good bit of rain in the forecast. What will that do to the snow that is already on the mountain? Not sure what to expect. If there is no skiing, what else can we plan to do? We'll have four young children with us, from eight years old to two. Any suggestions or advice very welcome. Thanks!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
400 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rain plans?

There is plenty of snow to ski on so don't worry about that. However, the snow conditions will be slushy.

Another idea is to go sledding. Slushy snow is actually very good for sledding, it makes it faster and since you are on a tube you don't get wet.

Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rain plans?

Thank you, PincPac, that is very reassuring. We don't mind slushy snow, but the forecast keeps getting warmer and warmer and each time I check there's another shower forecast. I was beginning to worry the snow would be washed away before next week. I will look into sledding too -- thanks for the tip!

Park City, Utah...
Level Contributor
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Rain plans?

Here's a list of more Things to do in Park City - visitparkcity.com/things-to-do/…

It might get warmer on the bottom of the mountain but we've got plenty of good snow up top.

A few other great suggestions are the Utah Olympic Park, a great interactive museum to tour.

The Park City Museum on Main Street is another great stop during your trip.

Here's a link to to our Top 10 list of spring activties for a few more ideas.

visitparkcity.com/blog/…

One more idea - be sure to stop by the brand new Visitor Center at Kimball just after you exit the freeway to Park City. They'll have plenty of ideas for the entire family.

Here's a link to Park City events too

www.visitparkcity.com/events/winter-calendar/

We promise - you'll have a great time!

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
16,153 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rain plans?

Those are often the very best ski days. But I don't see that in the forecast. What I'm seeing are highs in 50s, lows in 30s - pretty typical weather this time of year. I don't see anything in the forecast that would cause me alarm. Plenty of snow. I was out of town this weekend but we got close to a foot. You'll have a great time.

Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
2,613 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rain plans?

Very often, rain forecasts mean the valley and lower mt. Most of the time, mid mt and higher will be fresh snow. This is what spring skiing is about. Sunshine/powder. Should be fine.

Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rain plans?

Thank you, everyone! You were all so helpful. I am reassured and looking very much forward to hitting the slopes next week. Thanks for the list of other things to do, just in case!

Florianopolis, SC
Level Contributor
1 post
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rain plans?

Thank you all! I have been checking the weather report every 5 min.... I arrive only april 5th and was extremely worried! Now i'm just a little bit heheh

8. Re: Rain plans?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, March 29, 2014