We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving to the Film Festival

Which Park City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
2 posts
Save Topic
Driving to the Film Festival

I'm heading up to PC for the Sundance Film Festival, and am trying to book a hotel room for cheap. I've noticed things get much cheaper if I book outside Park City (for instance, in SLC instead). I'm wondering, is it difficult to drive in and out of the city on a daily basis? For instance, is it worth staying in Salt Lake City to save some bucks and commute in every day?

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,709 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving to the Film Festival

It isn't a bad drive, about half an hour. I can't speak much for the parking or whether you might be able to find something a little closer - like in NewPark...

park city UT
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving to the Film Festival

parking is impossible and plan on spending $20-30/day to park only to stand in line for a shuttle bus. Also, late January is the start of big storms, you could be stuck on I-80 for hours and also might be buying $120 chains for that rental car. Also, Utah and PC are severe enforcers of DUI laws. Soo.....How is driving and staying cheap sounding now?

Dont mean to be a smart a**, I have stayed in the valley many times to ski up here but Sundance is another world. I live here and it is nuts, worth it, but nuts

Los Angeles...
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving to the Film Festival

Greg, can I stay with you? :)

But seriously, 20-30 to per day to park is still cheaper than 100 a day extra to stay at a hotel in town. I'm not a drinker, so the DUI tip doesn't apply. I have chains already for my SUV (I drive in the snow every year), but storm delays do worry me. I also plan on attending films all day, so commuting early and late back would be the option. Despite your comments, it still seems like commuting ain't a bad option...

4. Re: Driving to the Film Festival

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 2:05 am, December 02, 2012
5. Re: Driving to the Film Festival

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 2:05 am, December 02, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
2,204 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving to the Film Festival

Have you looked at Huber City or Midway, UT? A lot closer then SLC.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
17,515 posts
403 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving to the Film Festival

Salt Lake will work out fine, as will Heber City, etc. Do not worry about snow. Yes, it can happen but don't plan your trip around it. You can easily drive up to Park City, park at the Newpark/Redstone shopping complex at the I-80 junction and take the free bus anywhere. There is also bus service from SLC to Park City, although the schedule is not very conducive to a Sundance schedule.

Yes, it's possible to pay $20-30 to park if you are crazy enough to do so. There are tons of free parking options with free, regular, convenient shuttle buses.

Enjoy, it's a great experience.

8. Re: Driving to the Film Festival

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:16 am, December 17, 2013