We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

April skiing with beginner kids

1 post
Save Topic
April skiing with beginner kids

Hi everyone, we're thinking about going to Utah during the first week of April. Our kids are 9&7 years old and have never skied before. I've read that (during that time of the year) snow can be muddy at the base or the Park City slopes, while it can be better at the Cottonwood resorts.

Should we stick with staying and skiing in the Park City area or go straight to the Alta/Solitude area? I guess another option is to stay at Park City and go a day or to to the Cotonwood resorts?

Many thanks in advance!

Salt Lake City, UT
Level Contributor
629 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: April skiing with beginner kids

With as crazy and unpredictable as the snow has been so far this season, there is really no way to predict what any of the resorts will be like the first of April! But it is true that the Cottonwoods get and keep more than PC, however, the PC slopes could still be GREAT at that time. My opinion would be to stay in PC (for all of the fun and amenities), and then plan a day or 2 at one of the Cottonwood resorts. Good luck!

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
17,955 posts
413 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: April skiing with beginner kids

I wouldn't make that your qualifying decision. I ski Deer Valley right up to close, never seen mud in my 25 years here. Do note that the Park City resorts are better equipped with snowmaking than the Cottonwood resorts. More often than not, the skiing here in early April is just fine.

That being said, it's been a low snow year (more coming tonight). So hard to say what it will be like this year. But I would opt for Park City given the vast amount of things you can do with the kids, choice of restaurants, etc. that you would not have on the Cottonwood Canyons. I think you and the kids will have a better experience here.

Have fun.

3. Re: April skiing with beginner kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:56 am, May 14, 2014
chicago, il
Level Contributor
196 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: April skiing with beginner kids

Hi- I can't speak to the snow, but wanted to say that we took our family to Solitude a few years ago, and found it a fantastic resort for families. It was my boys' first time skiing/boarding. Here are the reasons Solitude appealed to us: 1) because it is less crowded, my boys (who signed up for the youth lessons), as well as my husband and I, (who signed up for adult lessons) had what was essentially private/semi-private lessons for the cost of group lessons 2)overall the prices for ski school/skiing was less for Solitude. If you are a beginner you can buy lift tickets for the "beginner" slopes...this ticket includes a lift that services both blue and green runs. Plenty of challenging runs for a newbie. We used these tickets on all days but the last one. It was great to not have to pay for a part of the mountain that was out of our skill level 3) It is a smaller resort, so most accomodations are ski in/ski out, and lastly 4) centrally located in the resort is "club solitude" with indoor/outdoor pools, movie room, game room, sauna,etc. When pricing lodging in the Park City area, we found that (in our price range) we had to either go for ammenities or close proximity to the mountain..but could not afford both! At Solitude we got it all.

I would guess the only drawback is while there are restaurants, there is not much nightlife. But we had 3 kids with us and were exhausted at night. We were happy to walk over to Club Solitude and chill.

Don't know if this will help or confuse you more! Just wanted to say that we found Solitude to be very family friendly!

-kelly

5. Re: April skiing with beginner kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, February 21, 2013