We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

park city vs. snowbird

nyc
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
park city vs. snowbird

we are trying to decide whether or not to stay in snowbird or park city

I've heard there is no nightlife in snowbird and also not many good places to stay. is this true? any recommendations either way? it would be nice to ski-in/out

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
212 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: park city vs. snowbird

If you're looking for night life stay in Park City. There isn't much to do in Little Cottonwood Canyon except ski. There won't be any problem finding ski in /ski out places.

Plus, I wouldn't eat at Snowbird if you paid me. They've had a very sketchy past concerning their history with the health deparment.

Mentioned in this post
Park City
Park City
Wasatch Range, UT
Snowbird
Snowbird
Wasatch Range, UT
salt lake city
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
1,294 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: park city vs. snowbird

In 25 years, I've never had a bad meal at Snowbird so I have to disagree but that's not to say that one couldn't be had. The night life at Snowbird is limited to several bars and restaurants in the area. The tram bar has entertainment (bands) and it is really quite fun. The restaurants and other bars are lively at night. I'm always so tired after skiing that a big night out to party doesn't work well anyway. I like the cozy atmosphere and the convenience of Snowbird/Alta but there is nothing like Park City for shopping and a larger variety of restaurants, bars, and larger resorts.You will pay a higher price to stay and ski at Park City all around. How many days will you be here? It would be very easy to do both if you have a week.

Mentioned in this post
Snowbird
Snowbird
Wasatch Range, UT
Park City
Park City
Wasatch Range, UT
nyc
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: park city vs. snowbird

thanks for the info thus far we have decided to stay in park city, now we are just looking for lodging. we probably will drive one day to snowbird since we have heard so many amazing reviews of the mountain.

Park City, UT
Level Contributor
355 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: park city vs. snowbird

If you want variety in both skiing, restaurants, and nightlife, you will probably be better served in Park City. There are three ski areas in Park City, and they are distinctly different. If you view dining as a major part of your visit, Park City has over 100 restaurants and bars, and anyone here could name at least a dozen favorites.

If you are coming mostly or exclusively to ski, you couldn't do better than Snowbird or Alta. If the road to Little Cottonwood gets closed, you will definitely have great skiing by staying up there.

How long are you going to be out here? What kind of vacation are you hoping for?

Mentioned in this post
Park City
Park City
Wasatch Range, UT
Snowbird
Snowbird
Wasatch Range, UT
new york
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: park city vs. snowbird

I'm with you, Kim, we are completely torn about whether to stay in SLC versus Park City. I keep hearing that if you're there to ski, snowbird, alta are great and if you're there for nightlife, go to park city. My question is, what about the terrain? We are looking for bowl skiing, wide open, sunny great free skiing. Is that Park City or Cottonwood Canyon? Can someone help?

Mentioned in this post
Salt Lake City Intl Airport
Salt Lake City Intl...
Salt Lake City, UT
Park City
Park City
Wasatch Range, UT
salt lake city
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
1,294 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: park city vs. snowbird

The parking is free at all our resorts. Never heard of having to pay anywhere. Some resorts are easier than others. No one can gurarantee you sun whether PC or at the Bird...There are wide open areas in both but Deer Valley has the most variety of it. Ski in and out at both towns, too. Perhaps you should make the financial costs be your deciding factor. T

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,070 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: park city vs. snowbird

mrideout & kimk23 --

PC, DV has more varied and less challenging terrain. If your not an above intermediate skier Snowbird will be a tough go.

Mentioned in this post
Snowbird
Snowbird
Wasatch Range, UT
8. Re: park city vs. snowbird

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:15 am, August 20, 2009