We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first timer in any cold weather!!

Which Park City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kailua
Level Contributor
72 posts
first timer in any cold weather!!

My 16 year old daughter is going to Park City with a friend and parents for a week in late December. We live in Hawaii and we have traveled to the mainland many times but only during warm weather. She has NEVER seen snow before or experienced any type of winter weather!! How cold does it get that time of year? We are already on line getting snowboard pants and thermal socks and long underwear and of course a very warm coat and boots--------anything else a must?

Mahalo!

Spring/Houston, TX
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
3,789 posts
129 reviews
1. Re: first timer in any cold weather!!

Sounds like you are off to a good start. I would add to this list of clothing, a gator and a headband. The headband covers your ears and keeps them comfortable. The gator goes around your neck, and you can pull it up to cover your mouth and lower ears while skiing. Also, try and find things that are waterproof, like the socks and glove liners.

It does get cold in Park City. When skiing, your daughter will get warm, she should dress in layers under the outer ski wear.

Maryland
3 posts
1 review
2. Re: first timer in any cold weather!!

I would suggest mittens instead of gloves, I really feel that my hands are warmer with them. Also, being a "first timer" I would get her some heat packs to insert into her boots and gloves. A jacket with lots of pockets or pants with pockets. Water, water, water..since she's going from sea level to a high altitude this will help her to adjust. Some suggest that one should start 2 weeks ahead of time, some say just a few days before you go. Regardless, have her cut out sodas, caffeinated drinks, etc...

I know that most young people tend to resist this but it does make a difference. It's cold...however if she layers she won't feel the cold as much because the layers trap the heat of her body. Our crew generally wears long underwear (good quality), a turtleneck, and a polar fleece jacket or pullover under our coats. The snow pants are pretty warm, but again, long underwear, good ski socks that don't bunch up work. A neck gator, face mask, hat and if you can a helmet. The helmet will not only be a benefit for safety factors but it keeps your head VERY warm. Make sure she has good sunglasses or a ski mask for eye protection. A rose tint or an amber tint will benefit her even if it's overcast. Most importantely..tell her to enjoy herself, she's going to see beautiful scenery and experience a sport that is beyond fun.

Spring/Houston, TX
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
3,789 posts
129 reviews
3. Re: first timer in any cold weather!!

Oh yeah, don't forget the sunscreen and lip balm, even if you are from Hawaii.

Kailua
Level Contributor
72 posts
4. Re: first timer in any cold weather!!

mahalo to all of you for your responses!

I would have forgotten the "never leave Hawaii without" lip balm! And I never even heard of a neck "gator". What a wonderful idea! I still am interested in what type of temperature we are talking about and then I heard of "wind chill"--does this play in as well?

Again, many mahalos!!

Spring/Houston, TX
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
3,789 posts
129 reviews
5. Re: first timer in any cold weather!!

Temperatures will be COLD!! Below freezing, and the wind chill makes it feel even colder than the actual temperature.

New York
Level Contributor
104 posts
1 review
6. Re: first timer in any cold weather!!

I moved from Hawaii to New Hampshire when I was your daughter's age - talk about temperature shock! Make sure you get the polar fleece neck gator it is the single greatest invention for staying warm in cold windy weather! Try Campmor on the web, they have great cold weather gear often at close out prices. If she's going to board or ski then googles will also make all the difference in the world to stay warm - sunglasses do nothing to break the wind. Polar fleece anything is wonderful...it traps your body heat and will insulate even if wet. Silk long underwear looks so thin you can't believe it does anything but is actually warmer than any other kind. Hope she has a great time!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
212 posts
6 reviews
7. Re: first timer in any cold weather!!

Late December, if on par with the past few winters, will average around 35-40 degrees (F) as a high for the day. It seems like end of Dec through the beginning of January are the coldest here.

Utah suffers from a condition called "inversion" The pollution and clouds get trapped in the valley causing a constant gray overcast. This only adds the to the dreary weather that most people associate with winter. If your daughter happens to be here during that wonderful weather fluke, it will actually be warmer in Park city than in Salt Lake. PC is above the inversion and gets all of the nice sunlight.

Dress in layers. Bring a warm hat, gloves and scarf. Be less worried about fashion than warmth. My favorite place to buy outdoor gear is REI.com

Hope she enjoys her trip - I'm headed your way in March and cannot wait!!

Kailua
Level Contributor
72 posts
8. Re: first timer in any cold weather!!

I really want to wish you all well for the quick responses and wonderfull information you have shared! I found the websites Campmor and REI and they were great---have managed to ger her the silk long undies and a warm "gator" and goggles and snowboard mittens, fleece hats and scarves and a vest--and this is all for ONE week in cold weather!! Hopefully she will be able to use it when she attends college on the mainland!

Again many Mahalos!

And to Jdalton---I hope you have a wonderful time enjoying our islands! If I can be of any help let me know! Pali