We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking near Park City, UT

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
69 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Hiking near Park City, UT

Am travleing w/ wife and 5 yr old over 4th of July this year. We're looking for some trails near Park city with great views, easy terrain and roughly 3 miles or so in length? Any suggestions are appreciated!!!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
16,493 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiking near Park City, UT

I know there are some right near Park City, but you might consider going up hwy 150 past Kamas up to Mirror Lake. The Uinta's have lots of trails, easy and hard. The walk around Mirror Lake is good. The hike up to Mt Baldy only slightly challenging, a hike from Crystal lake to Wall Lake cool in the summer heat.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
20,561 posts
449 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiking near Park City, UT

Kbcejeans' suggestion of the Mirror Lake Highway is a really good one for some spectacular mountain hikes.

Right in Park City you'll find hundreds of miles of trails and very well organized by the Mountain Trails Foundation. Here's a link to maps and other info. I recommend when you get to town, stop by pretty much anywhere and pickup a map for a $2 donation.

http://www.mountaintrails.org/

Here's a few ideas that we like:

Guardsman Pass above Park City Mountain Resort, hiking the ridge south towards Brighton. Easy hike and stunning views.

From Guardsman Pass, hiking the ridge to the south (Park City Mountain Resort) with stunning views back to Park City.

Mid-Mountain Trail, stretching from Deer Valley to The Canyons. One idea would be to take the Canyons' gondola up to Red Pine Lodge and hike the trail from there.

Empire Pass, the road up to Guardsman just when it crosses over Deer Valley. Hike the ridge to the west.

If the 5-year old is pretty active, any of these are very do-able.

Have fun.

Park City, Utah
Level Contributor
170 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiking near Park City, UT

Lots of super suggestions so far. If you are looking for easy, you may want to start with the Farm Trail on the way into Park City, very mellow, through a meadow setting and beautiful views. Another great option might be the trails through Round Valley or Lost Prospector around the Aerie.

Probably the best recommendation is to do what T&C mentioned and buy a trail map - there's also a great online mapping option on the mountaintrails.org website too.

Salt Lake City, UT
Level Contributor
908 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiking near Park City, UT

I too would vote for the Mirror Lake Highway. The "problem" with nearly all the aforementioned Park City trails is that they are open to (and popular with) mountain bikes. I would be a bit concerned hiking with a youngster on such trails. I say this as an avid mountain biker myself.

The Bald Mountain hiking that jeans mistakenly referred to as Mt. Baldy is a great one if you can stand some elevation gain. There are also good short, relatively flat ones, like the trails leading from Trial Lake, or the short trail to Ruth Lake.

Not to mention, there is spectacular hiking on the Salt Lake City side of the Wasatch Mountains, in Big or Little Cottonwood Canyons, or Millcreek Canyon. The trails tend to be steep, but there are some easier choices, like the Silver Lake trail near Brighton, or Catherine Pass near Alta. Snow might still be an obstacle on such trails, however.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
16,493 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hiking near Park City, UT

<<The Bald Mountain hiking that Jeans mistakenly referred to as Mt. Baldy>>

Well, if you discount popular and handed down tradition then of course it is Bald Mountain....but it will always be Mt Baldy to me :-)

utah
Level Contributor
541 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hiking near Park City, UT

Call Carol Potter at Mountain Trails. She is the best! Check out their website Mountaintrails.com

utah
Level Contributor
541 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hiking near Park City, UT

Call Carol Potter with Mountain Trails, she is the best and knows everything about the trails in the park city area. Have fun, and welcome!

8. Re: Hiking near Park City, UT

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, December 24, 2009