We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best areas to ski in Utah that compare to Colorado

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Best areas to ski in Utah that compare to Colorado

We are heading to Utah in February for some skiing and I'm wondering what ski areas would compare to what we like in Colorado--Steamboat Springs is out favorite (love skiing through aspens and the Western feel of the town,, Copper Mountain our regular of the diversity of terrain black, blue, and green, and Snowmass for its size and variety.. We avoid Aspen and Vail--too upscale and crowded. We are intermediate to advanced, don't do many black runs, and dislike crowds. What areas do you recommend? Also where do you like to stay?

5 replies to this topic
Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
20,557 posts
449 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best areas to ski in Utah that compare to Colorado

Welcome to the forum. Park City is the only real ski town comparable to Steamboat. Here you have your choice of two resorts - Park City Mountain (part of Vail Resorts' Epic Pass) and Deer Valley (no snowboarding). Between those two there would be less crowding at Deer Valley. You can stay at either resort for ski in/out but I feel a better choice is staying in historic Old Town or along Main Street. Look at Marriott Summit Watch, Lift Lodge, etc. Where Steamboat is a western cowboy town, Park City is a 19th century mining town that has done a magnificant job in preserving its heritage.

While there are many other options in Utah, given your interests I feel you would be best served in Park City. Nice thing, too, is it's only 40 minutes from the airport. A car is really not necessary with free public bus around the community.

Have fun.

Centerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
14,197 posts
3,231 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best areas to ski in Utah that compare to Colorado

We have lodged and skied at Park City several times and also skied Deer Valley.

Great Powder.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
1,867 posts
1,159 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best areas to ski in Utah that compare to Colorado

Park City checks several of your requirements. The Town is very cool. It's the largest ski area in USA. It's big enough that you can separate yourself from the crowds and enjoy vast terrain. Any decent ski area will draw crowds on holidays and weekends, so it will depend on your choice of dates. Park City like Vail is expensive. That's not to say you can't find reasonable options for dining as you can also in Vail, but generally the real estate in Town is expensive. If you go a few miles out lodging and dining will be less upscale. PC has a more down to Earth vibe then ritzy Vail, but it's expensive. If you want to stay ski in/out it's not much different then Vail pricewise. Can't speak to Aspen, havent been there in 30 years. Vail is one of my regular areas to ski. On many levels it's hard to beat. PC enjoys lower elevations, close to SLC airport and an easy drive. I haven't been to Steamboat in a long time, but PC is far superior IMO. Everybody has their own tastes.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
5,181 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best areas to ski in Utah that compare to Colorado

Seems like trails in CO are a longer, but I've only been to Snowmass and Telluride. Loved both. Park City would definitely be the recommendation for lodging. Park City and Deer Valley combined have about 10,000 skiable acres, so you can stay plenty busy. I would plan on a couple of days at each, as they will have a different feel.

If you're going to be around for a while, I would also recommend Snow Basin and Alta. Neither are in a town, per se. Snow Basin doesn't even have lodging. But the terrain, lodge, and lifts are fantastic. Alta is a throwback type of place. Very rustic and old school. Great intermediate/advanced terrain with wide open bowls.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,366 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best areas to ski in Utah that compare to Colorado

You're not going to get the fancy town experience but if you want great skiing with NO crowds, for substantially less than PC consider educating yourself about powder mountain and snowbasin.

Reply to: Best areas to ski in Utah that compare to Colorado
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted