We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Location Question

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
97 posts
Save Topic
Location Question

Hi guys,

I came accross the famous picture in the Monument Valley of a man of horseback by a ledge. I was wondering if anyone knows where exactly this is located, and how to get there?

Is there a horseback tour company to contact, that would take me to this location?

Thanks for any help!

Cheers,

Nick

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
97 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Location Question

https:/…mv-with-horse-2.jpg

This is the picture.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
16,455 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Location Question

This is John Ford's Point. It is said he would watch the action of filming from there.

The horseman is a local who will accept money for letting you take his photo.

The point is at the furthest point in the valley road that you can reach on your own. You can drive yourselves there if you have a suitable car or all the tours will stop there as well. Behind where the photo is taken from are booths with native wares for sell.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
97 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Location Question

Great, thank you!!

Is it possible for a visitor to take a picture on the horse?

Thank you,

Nick

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
16,455 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Location Question

I have read that this is possible. Though I couldn't tell you for sure.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
65,453 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Location Question

I've heard that for the right tip, you can arrange the photo op. However, be advised that the Navajo make their own rules and they can change from day to day or even hour to hour,

Decatur, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,026 posts
293 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Location Question

The sign there said $3 for a tourist on the horse and $5 for them at the point.

Kalispell, Montana
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park, Santa Fe, Sedona
Level Contributor
10,675 posts
766 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Location Question

I have several pictures of both me and hubby on John Ford point...without horse. It is within the Monument Valley Tribal Park. We drove the 17 mile drive on our own one evening about 2 hours before sunset and were the only two people on the point at the time. The horses were bedded in at a nearby lean-to stable. So the horses are there and I'm guessing at the right time of day you can get a photo on him for some $$.

Further down that ultra scenic road near a huge rock monolith, we were lucky to see the wild horses running free with the red rocks as a stunning backdrop. That ended up a stunning photo op as well.

Edited: 10:41 pm, August 17, 2015
Decatur, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,026 posts
293 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Location Question

http://tinyurl.com/pw8o8yf

9. Re: Location Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, August 19, 2016