We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it safe to be driving back to Page in the evening?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
93 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Is it safe to be driving back to Page in the evening?

We will be travelling from Page to Monument Valley and want to stay there for sunset. We are contemplating whether we should stay the night at the view or drive back to Page. Originally planned on heading back to Page, but not sure about driving late at night.

Thoughts?

Kipling. SK
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park
Level Contributor
6,320 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it safe to be driving back to Page in the evening?

Well the common advice would be to stay at the View hotel if you can find reservations. Perfect for sunrise and sunset from their balconies.

Next closest community with a couple of hotels will be Kayenta. Hampton is nice.

The drive back to Page from MV is mostly open desert driving, with no tricky road sections that I remember. You still have to be mindful of the wildlife, as there will be sections that will host mule deer populations.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,282 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it safe to be driving back to Page in the evening?

I wouldn't drive it late at night. It will be very dark, little to no buildings or lights along the route. Wildlife, local drivers and exhaustion on your part may make it a stressful drive. I'd stay in Monument Valley or Kayenta, then get up early, see sunrise and head to Page.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
93 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it safe to be driving back to Page in the evening?

Thanks for the advise! I'm thinking staying at the view might be the way to go. Don't like the idea of hitting wildlife, damaging the car and being stranded in the dessert with 2 kids in a rental car!

Level Contributor
24 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it safe to be driving back to Page in the evening?

I would stay overnight in MV. I just drove from Cameron to MV. While the road is good with some road construction delays it is desolate with few services. Animals would be a concern too. The views at sunrise and sunset are fantastic, not to miss.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,902 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it safe to be driving back to Page in the evening?

Remember there is Gouldings Lodge right there as well as the View so check for availability at both.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
59,184 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it safe to be driving back to Page in the evening?

Book the View or Gouldings right now. Sunrise will be a bonus, but I'm willing to get it will be the highlight of your time at a Monument Valley.

Driving to Page in darkness is a really bad idea.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
93 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it safe to be driving back to Page in the evening?

Thank you all for taking the time to respond.

We are planning on going October 2015. Just confirming dates and will book soon.

Teesside, England
Level Contributor
1,535 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it safe to be driving back to Page in the evening?

I tried to book a room at Gouldings months ago for September but rooms get booked well in advance. However I managed to book one of their cabins, I think there is only 3 and they are on their camp site - $100 a night. If it appeals to you, check it out!

Just noticed you are planning this for October 2015, you should get into Goulding's Lodge if you book early enough.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g57072-d11…

Edited: 11:58 am, June 10, 2014
Teesside, England
Level Contributor
1,535 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it safe to be driving back to Page in the evening?

I tried to book a room at Gouldings months ago for September but rooms get booked well in advance. However I managed to book one of their cabins, I think there is only 3 and they are on their camp site - $100 a night. If it appeals to you, check it out!

Just noticed you are planning this for October 2015, you should get into Goulding's Lodge if you book early enough.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g57072-d11…

Edited: 11:59 am, June 10, 2014
10. Re: Is it safe to be driving back to Page in the evening?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 12, 2015