We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Monument Valley Tours and suggestions

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
60 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Monument Valley Tours and suggestions

Hi

Am staying at Gouldings camp site for 2 nights in August this year, am looking for suggestions and ideas of where/how to best spend the time their,

I would like to maybe go a hiking tour (am into hiking) any ideas of what the best tours are to see the best of the area, best tour operaters etc, maybe a 4x4 scienic drive tour also?,

Just got into photography any suggestions where the best locations are for sunrise/sunset photography, can I drive to these locations, have hired a standard rental car.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated,thanks.

Ken

Do I book upfont or when I arrive?

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,828 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Monument Valley Tours and suggestions

There are three main tours of Monument Valley- the valley tour, the backcountry tour and the Mystery Valley tour. Of the two main valley tours you'll want the backcountry tour. You should be able to book a tour upon arriving. Gouldings offers one that leaves from their hotel, it is half a day. If you want you can take the full day then you will get that plus the Mystery Valley as well.

I don't know about hiking tours. There is the one hike around the Mitten (wildcat? I think it is called). There is a nice very short hike from the Campground to an arch. It would only take an hour or so but was very nice.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
60 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Monument Valley Tours and suggestions

Thanks for that,

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
57,632 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Monument Valley Tours and suggestions

Read the recent trip report posted by Esty.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Monument Valley Tours and suggestions

North on hw 163 is a famous spot for picture taking at mm13 before Mexican Hat best in the morning. Not a long drive. You even can see Mexican Hat rock and Gooseneck SP with a slightly longer drive. Bring water for the MV tours and the hiking. Sunscreen and wear a hat.

Tet

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
60 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Monument Valley Tours and suggestions

Thanks for that, will try that out

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Monument Valley Tours and suggestions

Have a great trip and please tell is how it went.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
60 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Monument Valley Tours and suggestions

ok

London, United...
Level Contributor
146 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Monument Valley Tours and suggestions

flickr.com/photos/…

I would also recommend the Moki Dugway and Muley Point a bit further on from Mexican Hat, the views are breathtaking

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
60 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Monument Valley Tours and suggestions

Looks incredible, thanks

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Monument Valley Tours and suggestions

Moki Dugway is great but a very steeo 3 miles section and rd to Muley point is unpaved as well. Not a problem when dry though and to make the info even more confusing, there's Valley of the Gods drive at the foot of Moki Dugway. 17 miles unpaved not to drive when wet.