We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Monument Valley to Durango - Best route

Perth Western...
Level Contributor
44 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Monument Valley to Durango - Best route

We are planning a trip to Monument Valley in August and are planning on travelling through to Durango in Colorado. Could someone please advise the best route to travel to Durango - there seems to be a northern route (along the river) and a southern route (through four corners). We will be doing a tour through MV in the morning and travelling to Durango in the afternoon. Thanks

Moab, Utah
Destination Expert
for Moab
Level Contributor
3,370 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Monument Valley to Durango - Best route

In my opinion the northerly route through Mexican Hat, Bluff, Aneth etc This is much more scenic with far more distractions to make you wish you'd taken more time. Mileage wise they're much the same.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Monument Valley to Durango - Best route

Agree with Noel. Instead driving via Aneth you can get south on 191 from Bluff to us160 and turn left in the Cortez direction. This will bring you right along 4 Corners monument.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
18,809 posts
425 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Monument Valley to Durango - Best route

Second on the northern route. Another alternative in that direction is to include Hovenweek National Monument, a mini version of Mesa Verde. There is a route you can take through there that will add maybe 30-45 minutes. It's somewhat of a back road but in decent shape and well traveled.

Perth Western...
Level Contributor
44 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Monument Valley to Durango - Best route

Thank you everyone - that has been a great help. Just fine tuning the trip now....

Newport, Rhode...
Level Contributor
594 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Monument Valley to Durango - Best route

We are doing just the opposite, staying in Durango for 2 nights and then going to Monument Valley. Which route would you suggest?

Moab, Utah
Destination Expert
for Moab
Level Contributor
3,370 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Monument Valley to Durango - Best route

Still the northerly route. Hovenweep NM if you have time, Bluff, Mexican Hat, and then if you have more time the things between Bluff and Mexican Hat; Valley of the Gods, Moki Dugway, Goosenecks SP......

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Monument Valley to Durango - Best route

Don't miss Mesa Verde NP but it doesn't make a short stop.

Newport, Rhode...
Level Contributor
594 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Monument Valley to Durango - Best route

In 2010 We did Moki Highway, OMG, we did this all on motorcycle, scary as heck BUT BEATIFUL!!! We visited Mesa Verde NP and of course we stopped for gas in Mexican Hat. Love that little town. So I take that the best route would be the northern route going back over Moki Dugway, is there another perhaps shorter way to Page?

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Monument Valley to Durango - Best route

Shortest way to Page is via us160 and az98. 4Corners is on your direct way then.

Ann Arbor, MI
Destination Expert
for Michigan, Ann Arbor
Level Contributor
2,156 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Monument Valley to Durango - Best route

Hi, I'm tagging onto this question because it asked and answered exactly what I was wondering. We are overnighting at The View and will be headed to Hesperus the next day for 5 nights. I love the look of Hovenweep monument so we'll take that northern route. Two questions:

1) Is there anywhere between The View and Hovenweep to pick up some lunch to eat while doing the short hiking loop in Hovenweep?

2) Where might we be able to stock up on groceries between Hovenweep and our 5 day stay in Hesperus? We're staying out on a ranch, south of Hesperus and I'm hoping to shop on our way in so we can take a day to just hang out the first day and not drive anywhere.

Thanks!